Notifications
Clear all

Broken Tuning Peg maybe?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmy132)
Topic starter  

Okay, so I have a Yamaha C-85A (Classical Acoustic) Guitar and I believe that the tuning peg for the low E-string may have broken, but since nothing like this has ever happened before to me, and I didn't get to see what happened, I don't know.

Basically, my friend David was trying to tune the A-String and ended up overtuning the low E-String and he said that he had heard a snapping sound and when he looked at the string, it was completely loose and the tuning pegs would keep popping out the little brass part that rotates the string or whatever, so that it would never actually tune up. And also, I've tried re-stringing it, but I don't think I did it right, so that may be a reason also.

I don't know if it's a broken tuning peg or a broken e-string or something a lot worse, but if you could help that would be amazing.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not quite sure I follow your description. But if the brass part to which you refer is a short, wider gear, and it keeps popping out a bit beyond the helical worm gear (long and "twisty" gear on end of tuning button shaft) so the two no longer mesh, then it may be that the screw which runs through the brass gear and attaches it to the string post (a.k.a. capstan) is loose. If that sounds correct, then simply make sure the gear is properly seated on its post, then tighten the screw.

If it's not correct, please post a pic to help us understand.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@six-string-suicide)
Eminent Member

I Believe i had a similar problem with my Yamaha Acoustic. The string would not tune, and the peg kept popping out of the bridge, which would make the string come loose and no matter what i did it would not tighten. I found that The peg had cracked and it would not secure in the bridge. If this is the problem with yours, then you need to buy a new peg for the bridge.

Some people don't like to stop and take a look at the big picture, i make them stop, and i make them look.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I Believe i had a similar problem with my Yamaha Acoustic. The string would not tune, and the peg kept popping out of the bridge, which would make the string come loose and no matter what i did it would not tighten. I found that The peg had cracked and it would not secure in the bridge. If this is the problem with yours, then you need to buy a new peg for the bridge.

Nylon strings are tied to the bridge on a classical guitar -- no bridge pins (pegs).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote