Clear all

building a case.... what to use inside?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well not sure where the best place to post this is, figure this works here..

Two winters ago I built a lap steel guitar. Well I'm planing on building a case for it this year. Any idea what I should use on the inside? What kind of foam are normally used? Fabric that's best? Anyone build one? Or relined a old case?

Thanks for any help!!!

Paul B

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

depends on the kind of case your making - flightcase or a storage case, gig case. For a regular case I've used 1/8 inch ply, cotton batting and carpet padding and plush material or felt. I use the batting over the padding under the body and head and on the top. All available at Joannes fabric in colony over by the airport - they have nice vinyl for the exterior too for $17 a yard. $40 total material. BTW don't use mdf for the structure - use plywood.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Just a wooden case to store, and who knows.... if I ever learn to play the darn thing, carry it out paces. Planing a nice wood box, and some nice hard were. Wood working is a hobby of mine so I'm going to play around with it a bit. Thanks for the ideas!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

The best approach is to build a closed box then halve it - that's garnered the best results for me as far as an end result that fits together best.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The best approach is to build a closed box then halve it - that's garnered the best results for me as far as an end result that fits together best.

Ya thats my plan. Its real tough to get the two halves perfect.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

BTW this is whats going in it...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That looks pretty cool Paul!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! One day it will get a pickup swap though.. Not realy happy with the cheepy strat pickup.. Im thinking P90, or something odd ball... Maybe a old tisco pickup just to keep things diferent.

Paul B

ReplyQuote