Buzzing & Bridge Adjustment

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@badear1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi
I've got a n old 12 string acoustic guitar with an adjustable bridge. Can anyone suggest how I should adjust the bridge so that I can stop the A string buzzing on certain frets and also make it possible to hold those barre chords down with much less force.

(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

Hey there,
Biggest problem you will have will be the neck. If you are experiencing buzz on the "A" string, fair to say theres a bit of an issue with the neck.
In order to get the action nice and low and make those barre chords easy, you need to have a nice straight neck with all the frets really even. Any fret wear is going to give you major drama.
If you want a cheap way around this, first thing you will need to do is make sure that neck is straight. If not, either straighten it using the truss rod, or take it to your local store to get that done. Put a lighter guage of string on will make it easyier, also you can try tuning the guitar down a full step, then putting a capo on the 2nd fret. This will lower the action slightly and losen the tension.

ReplyQuote
(@badear1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What do you mean when you say,'tune it down a step'. I dont understand?

ReplyQuote
(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

Sorry " a step" is the same as saying "a tone".

So if you were tuning down a step, you would tune:
E string down one tone to D
A down to G
D down to C
G down to F
B down to A
E down to D
then by putting a capo on the second fret, the guitar will SOUND up to concert pitch, but with the lesser tension of a guitar tuned down.
You may find that too low, so you could tune down 1/2 a step. (1/2 a tone)
to
Eb
Ab
Db
Gb
Bb
Eb

ReplyQuote
(@badear1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh is that what it is? Now I understand. Thanks I'll try that.

ReplyQuote