Clear all

Buzzing from Floating Pickguard

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Noticing that when I play my guitar research hollow body that I'm getting alot of buzz from the floating pick guard. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

something is either loose or parts of the pickguard (or the pickguard/body) are "just touching" each other at some point -- buzzing indicates intermittent contact. tighten the looseness (too obvious) or locate the offending point of contact and change the situation to either separate or make the contact more intimate. if the whole assembly just vibrates or you cannot find the mechanism, I'd consider putting a piece of open celled foam (soft, compressible) beneath the pickguard to dampen the vibrations/buzz.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'd consider putting a piece of open celled foam (soft, compressible) beneath the pickguard to dampen the vibrations/buzz.

I would be a little bit worried that foam might react badly over time with the finish and/or the pickguard material. Maybe a piece of felt instead?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

not too worried about the pickguard, but you have a point -- some foams are not stable and outgas solvents that may attack the finish. felt might work, but does not have the same, useful compressibility as foam. there are a number of foams sold for guitar assembly (e.g. pup "springs"), one of those might do the trick.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys I'll have a look at it! I'm hoping it's just the obvious of a loose screw or something

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it probably it. but you are likely to know the guitar better than anyone here (no other owners, I think), as it's a less common model than say a Strat or LP. so best we can do is provide somewhat generic advice.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it's not a common model. The only reason I got it was because they didn't have the Ibanez Hollow body that I was looking for, and said that they didn't think they were getting anymore in (which was a lie, they had them in the next week).

But that's neither here nor their, the guitar sounded amazing, so I went with that and not the name brand.

I did fix the guitar, it turned out that the wire coming from the floating pick up was bouncing off the body and so I just tape it up to the pick guard. I did also tighten the screws a bit.

Thanks for all the help!

ReplyQuote