Buzzing on the low E string

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have an Ovation acoustic/electric which has been playing great for a few months now, but just last night it started making a buzzing noise. I play it unplugged (no amp yet) and its only when I play the low E string. The buzz sounds like it is coming from the nut (I believe its called, the peice that holds the strings in place near the head of the guitar.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm not an expert on buzzing nuts but there's a couple of things that I'd try while I was waiting for someone else to reply.

First thing I'd try would be to play the string on different frets all down the neck and try and see if the buzzing really was coming from the nut or a fret. It could be due to a bit of general settling of the neck, action, etc and just require a small adjustment. Maybe you could also get somebody to rest a finger on the nut while you play a few notes and see if that stopped the buzz.

If it did look like it was coming from the nut then I'd try reseating the string. In other words slackening it right off, lifting it out of the groove for a moment, and then retightening and re-tuning.

If that didn't work I'd wait for someone to post here who actually knows what they're talking about and could suggest possible remedies. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Sometimes we create our own buzzing by going to a smaller size string that fits lower in the groove of the nut and closer to the first fret bar or two.

I think I just did that! :shock:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. Actually, the buzzing happens the most without me fretting at all. It may be the strings but I last changed them almost a month ago and the buzzing just started two nights ago.

The guitar has a history of going out of tune. I have to retune it every day no matter how new or old the strings are. Makes me wonder if in tuning it up everyday, maybe I have loosened up the E string so much that it is coming unwound.

I might check that tonight. I might just take it back to the shop and get them to do a setup on it. Its never been done anyway.

Thanks again

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you have never done a setup on it that is worthwhile in many ways.

You may be right on the string going bad so replace it and see if that solves it.

It could simply be that the string is hanging up in the nut when you tune it so try lubing the nut slots with graphite (pencil lead).

It is also possible the the string wore down the nut slot so check that. You can fret the string lightly at the 3rd fret and see if there is any clearance at the 1st fret. It should be a very small gap like less then 5 thousandths of an inch. One simple test is to fret it at the 3rd and tap ever so lightly right over the 1st fret and you should be able to hear a faint click when the string taps the fret.

AND, don't rule out your attack on the strings. How hard do you have to hit the string to make it buzz? If the string is hit hard you can make any guitar buzz especially the low E.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the great info Nils. As for the attack it doesnt seem to matter. Playing it lightly and heavy both causes buzz.

I'll let you know the update.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am a complete noob so please take what I say with a grain of salt...but I think you have answered your own question...

You mentioned that your guitar cannot hold a tune...from what I know of Ovations they are supposed to be good guitars (I know I have heard about the bowl seam breaking...but that's a different thread)...

I would completely restring the guitar following the lesson for stringing in the Guitarnoise database (not that you don't already know how to string a guitar). I have a Behringer V-Tone that I restrung as per that article and I'll tell you it hasn't gone out of tune in 3 days (well there was the stretching in period but all guitars will do that)...and Behringer isn't the highest quality guitar out there...at least compared to Ovation...

If that's not it then I sit here enjoying my meal of crow! :oops: :oops:

ReplyQuote