Skip to content
BUZZZ, ground wire ...

Notifications
Clear all

BUZZZ, ground wire problem, or broken tone circuit?

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My guitar has a buzz. it is eliminated when i touch the grouynd wire to myself, i have tried to ground it to every piece of anything onmy guitar. the buzz goues away(even with the ground wire unattached) if the tone circuit is turned off. there are two 4 wire humbuckers both wired to be coiltapped. There is only one tone knob. I amvery confused, as when i bough the guitar the wire was soldered to the metal where the springs connect ni the back fo the guitar, i tried re soldering it there ( it came loose) and now noluck. (i tried sanding the meatl surface to get a clean connection too, also no luck.

(@jim182)
Eminent Member

i'm just a guitar electronics beginner myself, but heres my thoughts.

first, how do you turn off the tone circuit? is there a switch? do you get the same effect with the tone knob in either direction? With a tone nob at full, the circuit should be completely cut. full tone == no tone trimming. with the tone at its lowest, the circuit is full closed.

With the tone circuit turned off, where does the other circuit ground to? try putting the tone ground to the ground in the main circuit directly, join them.

However, without more information it is difficult to help too much :)

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, thats what imeant, when the tone knob is turned so there is 100% resistance (fullclosed) i do not get the buzzz at all, but assoon as that tone circuit gets turned on atall the buzzing gets worse and worse untill the full open position.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My guitar has a buzz. it is eliminated when i touch the ground wire to myself,

:!: Not a good idea. Doesn't take much electrical current to stop a heart.

when i bough the guitar the wire was soldered to the metal where the springs connect ni the back fo the guitar,

I'm guessing that's your bridge ground. It's what grounds your tuners, strings, and bridge. Reconnect it. If you can't get a good solder joint, loosent one of the screws holding the bridge to the guitar's body, wrap the bare end of the wire around the screw, then screw it back in.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jim182)
Eminent Member

try de-soldering all the joints on the tone control. Then connect the ground, and see if it does anything just linked into the ground with the rest of the circuit. Then connect the signal cable. Is it possible it somehow got wired wrong?

Also, there mus tbe wireing diagrams online for your guitar. worth a double check.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

lol thanksmitch, is there alotof current running through the bridge ground wire,? thats the one i was tyoyuching to myselflol. I did reattach it and that allows for playability with the tone knob in the "0" position but when i turn that sucker up for a bit more treblei just get alot more buzzin

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

is there alotof current running through the bridge ground wire,? thats the one i was tyoyuching to myselflol.

Ha ha, no, well probably not, but of course I could only guess that was the wire you were talking about.

But then, I was the kid who stuck a paperclip in each side of a wall outlet, then touched them together thinking I'd have a nightlight. Ouch! :shock:

The tone knob seems to have an effect but that's only because you're attenuating the high frequencies. So you're cutting out the sound of the buzzing, but not the source.

Is the buzz there when the humbuckers are not tapped?

Also be sure to read Margaret's thread about her '51 buzzing - you may have similar problems (yet to be resolved.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I already read margaret's thread. I thought she got that replaced by MF? yes, the bnuzzing is there when they are switched to singlecoils and when they are as humbuckers. goodpoint about the high end freq's though. maybe i got a faulty tone pot? it shouldnt be its brand new from guitarfetish...

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

But then, I was the kid who stuck a paperclip in each side of a wall outlet, then touched them together thinking I'd have a nightlight. Ouch! :shock:
Ahhh. I was the kid who thought if a 9 volt battery made this little fan I had go quite fast, imagine how fast it would go if I connected up to the mains :oops:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey, solved. it was a beasty computer i was semi near. I brought my guitar to the shed where our band plays at. noproblems. because that computer was miles away lol.

got worse when i walked clsoer to the computer too!

Misanthrope, how fast DID that fan go :D

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Not as fast as I did :wink:

My guitar sometimes buzzes when I'm playing at the computer, but it's very sensitive to the angle between the computer and the guitar. I can get rid of the hum by turning as little as 10-20 degrees.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

all this hum buisiness is bothersome

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

When your guitar is close to an electrical device, you will pick up hum from the other devices. SUcks, but that's generally what happens. You should shield your guitar - go to Guitarnuts.com.

I believe the reason for the 10-degree shift eliminating the hum is because the pickups only sense frequencies right above them, not to the side of them. Similar to a directional microphone. Thus, it must be very sensitive. Pickup hum is difficult to get rid of, however - I don't know if it's really possible, unless you simply change locations.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote