Skip to content
Can I increase stri...

Notifications
Clear all

Can I increase string spacing on my Strat via bridge change?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@scuba)
Topic starter  

I've got a late model Mexican strat with very narrow string spacing ( < 2" ). I'd like to increase the string spacing and wonder if that could be accomplished by using a bridge with traditional (2 7/32") spacing.

Thanks for the help!!

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

HI,

In my experience you can change whatever you like, provided you have the necessary skills, and don't mind living with the consequences.

I've changed the nuts on two guitars with entirely good results. In both cases it was to a narrower nut, because the ones fitted at the factory were actually a little too wide. The outer strings had a tendency to slide off the edge of the frets. With one the wholesaler offered to pay to have it replaced but I just got the shop to give me a better quality standard sized nut and fitted it myself. It's an easy job. For the other ( an inexpensive bass) I made my own new nut. Both worked well with no downside.

However, if you're trying to go wider at the bridge it may or may not work so well. Firstly, it will still be narrow at the nut end,where you may need to play, Secondly, the neck will still be the same width so you might run into the problem that I was fixing - outer strings slipping off the tapered ends of the fret wires. You might also get problems with the strings no longer lining up with the pickup poles as neatly as they did. I don't know if that would matter much, but it would be worth checking and maybe even recording the sounds before and after and see if you thought it had any adverse effect.

When I first started playing, most guitars seemed too closely spaced for my "big" fingers. But now I've been at it for a while the fingers seem to have magically shrunk and narrow now feels just fine. :wink: So maybe you'll get used to it?

Good luck with it whichever way you go.

Chris

ReplyQuote