Clear all

Case Wear

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Not exactly a guitar repair question, but I wasn't sure where to post this. The outside of the hard case for my Epiphone Dot is starting to come apart at the edges on the bout end. I've had this case (and guitar) for less than 3 years. It does get carried around a lot and I never expected the case to last forever, but I don't want to buy a new case yet. Before the problem gets any worse, I'd like to somehow reinforce the edges. Duct tape would help some, but not a lot and would look tacky. Any ideas on what material to use? It obviously has to bend to the shape of the case and it has to bond to the case.

Renee

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Well, duct tape would be traditional, and fully authentic looking.

Another option is stickers-- lots of stickers:

Which would also give you the image of a road-weary professional :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Look at it this way, the case takes the wear not the guitar. I find mystery wear on some of my cases too.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'm not sure how serious your problem is, but have more or less accepted case wear, dings and bumps and peeling as necessary wear too, independent of the precious contents. My first response is to put Super Glue on or actually into the cracks and crevices, tape temporarily with either masking or painter's tape, and finally dab on usually-black paint - Testors model finish to be exact. I try to keep most cases looking original. It is funky in a way, but not as funky as chips etc. Then I Armor All it all!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, so duct tape is totally acceptable. It actually might be the best fix. Or there's Blue Jay's more finessed approach of trying to make it look right.

I'm happy that it's the case instead of the guitar. It's just that I've had cases a lot longer that never started splitting at the edges. It looks like the case in the first picture that Kent posted had exactly that problem in a serious way.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the case is black. if you can't find black duct tape. I highly recommend using gaffer's tape. it is black, durable and comes on big two inch wide rolls. it tears off the roll easy as pie. it works great for managing mic and PA cords, lighting cords.
gaffer's tape.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tjungroth)

Another good way to patch a case is the Black hole Patch Kit made for Portable Ice Houses and convertible tops. Peel and stick strong nylon and vinyl patch just google portable ice house patch
the case is black. if you can't find black duct tape. I highly recommend using gaffer's tape. it is black, durable and comes on big two inch wide rolls. it tears off the roll easy as pie. it works great for managing mic and PA cords, lighting cords.
gaffer's tape.

The Black Hole Patch works great to!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Another good way to patch a case is the Black hole Patch Kit made for Portable Ice Houses and convertible tops. Peel and stick strong nylon and vinyl patch just google portable ice house patch
gaffer's tape.

The Black Hole Patch works great to!
wow, that stuff sounds great. there are lots of ice house where I live. think I'll walk out there and see em.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ice house? What's that? Yeah, I do know what it is, but I live in Arizona and have never seen one except in movies. Not likely that I could find an ice house repair kit in my local hardware store.

I decided to go with the black duct tape as the easiest fix. Bought some, but then went on a 3 week trip and just got back, so still need to do the repair.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Renee

ReplyQuote