Clear all

Changing Pickups

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm considering replacing the stock pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul with a set of Seymour Duncans. Jeff Beck in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. Is that a pretty straight forward swap? It should be just a matter of pulling the old ones and connecting the wires to the new ones right?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Your actually going to have to solder them.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

But it's a pretty simple swap other than soldering?

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Should be. Just make sure you get the wiring as similar to what you are pulling out. Don't know how many wires come out of the epi pickups, but you will need to mach the colors as best as possible. The pickups will come with some instillation instructions talking about wiring and grounding. If done wrong, you will get noise, which is not what you want with humbuckers.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

With Seymours you will likely have the option to wire for splitting each pup (single-coil mode). If you want to do that, you will need an appropriate switch for each. Stew-Mac.com sells push-pull pots that will do the switching. As stated above, the pups will come with instructions explaining all of this.

BTW, does SD really call that pup a Jeff Beck these days? Despite this being the street name, SD has in the past maintained the "JB" connotes Jazz-Blues - but that might just be to avoid endorsement fees and other issues.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well their site never really calles it Jeff Beck. I guess that might be a street name, although they do have another pickup called the SH2 Jazz Neck, that from what I can tell is the Jazz/Blues pickup. Just going by the info I read on the Les Paul forums.

ReplyQuote