Clear all

changing strings on a steinberger headless

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just bought a steinberger spirit on ebay and I need to change the strings.

How do I do it?

edit: ok i figured out how to do it. now, where do i get those special strings? is there a way to get normal strings to work?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

OK here we go from memory since I only touched one of these.

Turn the tuning knob at the back of the bridge counter clockwise to loosen the string. When the ball end appears you should be able to lift it out of the bridge. Now go to the end of the neck (gee what do you call it when there is no headstock) and try to lift that end out. If it has the small allen screws in the head you may have to loosen them to get the ball out of that end.

Assuming you are replacing them with the double ball strings just reverse the removal process. If you are using standard strings it is basically the same process but you have to fiddle with the adapter that goes on the string.

There were two models that could take standard strings. One you put the ball in the bridge and fed the other end through the head somehow and locked it down with a screw and the other you put the ball at the head and it would lock down somehow at the bridge. Either way you start by loosening the tuning screws.

Good luck

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ok i figured out how to do it. now, where do i get those special strings? is there a way to get normal strings to work?
I have seen them online at http://www.juststrings.com and some shops may carry them but I would suggest calling around.

Now, you can jury rig it by cutting the ball end off of old strings, putting the ball end of the new string in the bridge, looping the string through or around the old ball and twisting it around itself then put that in the head. The difficulty is getting the right length so it may be better to do them side by side with the old string.

Check the http://www.steinberger.com site they may have instructions on how to do that.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote