Clear all

Cheap Cable

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I posted a topic about this noise I get when I put the cable into my guitar. After swapping the ends around and putting the plug that usually goes into my guitar into the amp and visa versa I found that the problem was now starting when the plug in the amp started to move. When I got my guitar the salesman said I must watch out coz the cable that comes with it is kinda cheap. I now know the only way to fix this is to buy a new cable but now I'm wondering: What makes a descent/cheap cable?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

What makes a decent cable? well it depends on the cable and the connector. A decent cable will not crack inside in the the middle of the cable and the connections inside the jacks are soldered well. There is acually a technique to soldering. It took me about a month to learn it correctly (After trial and error). On a bad solder sonnection there can be what is called a "Cold" solder. It reallly means that the solder was noth brought up to the right temperature for the right amount of time. Its hard to tell when this happens unless you know what to lok for which is also hard to explain. But what happends is there may be solder there and you may be able to tug at it and everything and it wont budge. but if its a cold solder there is actually a thin layer of the solders rosin that is insulating the wire from the connector. Electrically seperating the two pieces. IF the connetors are the bad parts and not the able, and you can screw off the cable connector to see the solders you amy be able to resolder it. If that doesnt fix it then its probably the cable.

Hope I helped
Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@strife)
Eminent Member

well i don't have my electric yet. im gettin it next week. a bunch of my friend you this monster cord. i don't think it's the best chord around but it comes with a life time warranty so if it does break on ya you can go and trade it in for a new one.

ReplyQuote