Notifications
Clear all

check this out and help please..

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@iminsideurmind)
Topic starter  

ok I have researched this and found some answers but im not sure if im searching correctly. I think you would call the problem fret buzz but idk for sure. On the low E string starting on 7th fret the tone starts sounding bad. 12th fret is real bad and 17th fret is horribly flat it basically stops ringing just goes twang and thats it. the A string basically starts the problem at 16th fret. the d string is like low E around 12 th fret starts crappy sound but around 19th fret it clears up. same w G but not as bad B string seems like it starts sounding bad around 18th fret then clears up at 21st. High E 16th fret.

when strumming all open they sound fine when playing basic chords C G D etc they sound fine. i have really heavy strings i cant remember what gauge but at least 52 or higher. also when i press really hard on a given string the problem gets better not totally but a little but im pressing extremely hard. guitar is a gibson gothic sg. only thing i know that might of happened is it might have fallen when i forst noticed the issue a buddy said just tap on the fret thats buzzing w small rubber mallet and tap the fret back down. well tapping on the neck made it worse

sorry for rambling but trying to be thorough...thanks in advance! :twisted:

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Don't tap the frets! Get the guitar properly set up. If you have changed to (much) heavier strings you need to do adustments to the nut and the chair
welcome to GN :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@stratslinger)

If it gets bad and then better as you go up the neck.......That almost sounds like your neck may be warped. Not good. You better take it to a guitar shop and have them take a look.

Are You the Next Guitar Hero?
Master the Guitar Step by Step
GuitarMaster.com

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Could have your action set too low. I don't think it's a truss rod issue as if it was pulled too straight it would cause problems on lower frets.

ReplyQuote
(@iminsideurmind)
Topic starter  

ok im gonna try new strings and raising the action some geez I hope it works.. I am not likeing playing my cheap ibanez. anywho thanks alot and i sure hope nothing is warped!

ReplyQuote
(@iminsideurmind)
Topic starter  

ok im really pissed at myself :evil: but i have to laugh :lol: .....i havent played that guitar for over a year because i thought it was screwed up pretty badly.....i can not believe all i needed was strings i changed them and it plays great omg i feel like an idiot... :cry: however i did get a different guitar out of the deal because my dad would rather buy a new one then fix the gibson so thats not to bad but damn i had missed my gibson any way thanks for the advice and try not to laugh to hard at me :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

New strings can make a big difference!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote