15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 RoS
(@ros)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i normally wash my hands.

clean guitar before and after use with a cloth (i bought this cloth for my saxophone when i was in concert band 2 years ago)

Everyday when i clean, the strings produces a brown substance, which i doubt it rust.

i cleaned the fretboard, and found the brown substance too. i don't know what this is.

is this normal? how do i clean?

(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

ummm...maybe its the cloth you're using...maybe its that that needs to be cleaned...I wipe my guitar and strings down after playing for the day and I don't get that...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Some of those old cloths for saxophones or bells or whatever have a small amount of rouge built in.

Try a new cloth.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

The best thing for cleaning up your strings i've found is "nail varnish remover" please don't laugh until you've tried it.
After cleaning with the nail varnish remover spray some WD40 on a cloth and wipe down the strings,it helps to protect them and remove any residual nail varnish remover.Cheaper than buying all those fancy lotions and potions from the music store and basically the same stuff.Just a bit more feminine!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

How powerful is nail varnish remover...i mean should I be careful not to rub the laquer off the fretboard or will it be fine??

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It is lacquer remover. I wouldn't try it. If you do, be VERY careful.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The only thing I buy is Finger Ease. When I install new strings I spray it all over them. then after if wears off a little I put more on depending on the playing time. When I'm done playing I may or may-not wipe them down. Next time I practice or play I put more on, again after wards I may or may-not wipe them down. I even spray may fretting hand and fingers.

I've been known to play a set of strings until one or more of them won't tune. I get so use to a set of strings from playing on them so long I hate give them up for a new set, because everything will be sounding so great I can't put it down.

One Pet Peeves.. " Not playing with dirty hands".

Like if your buddy comes by and while hanging asks to check out your guitar. first is go wash your hands with soap. Nothing worse than picking up your guitar and finding someone has got transmission fluid, 10w-40 valvoline, maybe something sticky all over it. Then again you really shouldn't be allowing others to play your guitar. If they should happen to break it or drop it you'll be the one without.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

maybe something sticky all over it

Memories of "Something About Mary"................... :shock: :shock: :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

maybe something sticky all over it

Memories of "Something About Mary"................... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey, it helps loosen you up before you play guitar...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

How powerful is nail varnish remover...i mean should I be careful not to rub the laquer off the fretboard or will it be fine??

It's called acitone (with some purfume to kill some of the stink) and it's a VERY powerful solvent. It will strip laquers and other finishes in a hurry. Now if the guitar has a polyurithane finish it will survive but it might be dulled or crazed. I wouldn't get it anywhere near a musical instrument of any kind.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

What about having your cat lick it? Its rough tounge could get rid of anything on it...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Maybe you've got Van Halen's famous 'Brown Sound' and don't even know it. :wink:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I always thought Van Helen sounded like...something brown.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Whichever of their singers always put that little schoolgirl squeal on the end of his phrases, I despise that! Never could stand to listen to it.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife came in here saying, "You know, Van Halen really sucks! I can't stand that screeching!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

BTW, I really like that old Audio Adrenaline stuff, too!

(Looking at your sig quote.)

ReplyQuote