Clear all

Click click click, new pickups?

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everybody, first id like to say i feel bad. I was just given a beautiful ibanez, then upon restringing and playing my old epi LP, i like it better than the ibanez! Anyway, as much as i like the LP, its got a very strange clicking sound, kindof like chinese-torture-meets-metronome, and i want to get rid of it. Basically if the guitar is not being played or the strings being held, theres static noise and a click click click noise. Is this a pickup problem? Would it be worth replacing the pups on a very old Lp100?

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

You didn't really give us enough info to help diagnose for you.

Does it click when you Switch between Pickups?
Does it click when you turn/twist the volume/tone knobs?
It could also be in the Chord Plug In.
Then again it could be your pickups.. <shrug> :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Like Dag said, could be lots of things. However your comment about "if the guitar is not being played or the strings being held, theres static" makes me think a grounding problem in the guitar somewhere. Am I interpreting you correctly that if you touch the strings, the noise goes away? If that's the case, probably grounding. Now that could still be a grounding problem in the amp itself, or a whacky cord, or a whacky jack, or bad grounds in the guitar. Try a different cord first, if you still have the problem, start looking into the guitar, first culprit probably being the jack or the switch.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

If you have a little money laying around just get it checked out, most places will tell you whats wrong with it before they fix it.

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I checked it on my other guitar, no problem. I think it is a grounding problem, i might be able to have it checked out. Any other ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member

it could possibly be electrical interence? is the inside gubbins on it shielded properly?

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

it could possibly be electrical interence? is the inside gubbins on it shielded properly?

What is that?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think he means the inner bits. The "guts."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ive never touched the insides of my guitar, as in the electronics, but its definitely grounding, i picked up AM 88.1 a few minutes ago..

About the Pups, do you think its worth replacing them on a '95 LP100? would it really help? I was thinking about the 57 Gibson Humbuckers.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No, replacing the pickups isn't going to be a cure for radio reception. It's unlikely to fix your clicking, either. And as I often post, I'd never replace pickups unless I could state what it is specifically about the characteristics of the pickups I have that I would like to change.

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not to cure the clicking, just would it be a good investment, worth it, to replace pickups in a guitar that- by todays standards-would be a peice of crap. I know the sound i want, and this guitar comes miles closer than my ibanez, which i may sell, but its just not there exactly.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, what I mean is, pickups have differing signal output levels, peak frequency responses, and height and width of their bell-shaped bandpass frequency characteristics. That's about it for their tonal characteristics. Whether some guy on a guitar board thinks they sound great or terrible, or would/wouldn't be worthwhile is really pretty meaningless.
:D

ReplyQuote