Clear all

Clicking noise

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I don't know if this is common but whenever I switch pickups when using the switch i hear a clicking noise. Normally, this wouldn't bother me but it is quite loud and I like repeatively switching back and forth between two pickups (one with full volume the other with little volume) to create almost a tremelo effect. Is there a way to get rid of the noise (or at least quiet it)?

Steve-0

(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

sounds like you're using a les paul style guitar, if its a cheap range the switch might be poor, changing it with a better one could make that quieter and smoother.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

it's a VMP, but i always considered it to be more of a strat style guitar. A cheap selector switch would make sense considering it isn't the highest quality guitar, maybe i'll look into it, thanks alot.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Also keep in mind that switches are mechanical devices with a finite lifespan. Even an expensive one is probably going to break down rather quickly under the conditions you're subjecting it to.

What happens inside the switch is that the actual electrical contacts get physically worn down and often loosen up with use. When you move those worn and/or loose contacts, there may be a point during the travel that portions of them aren't making physical contact with each other anymore. This will lead to electrical arcing, which will (a) break the switch down even faster, and (b) manifest itself as a loud, annoying pop when you move the switch. :)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Try some contact cleaner if you haven't already.

ReplyQuote