Clear all

Crack

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My Seagull cracked two years ago and I had it repaired. It looked great after the repair. You couldn't see the crack at all. Then the next year in the winter the crack opened up but when spring came it closed again. Now this winter the same thing happened. It opened up again but in my great guitar wisdom I glued it. Now this spring it didn't close on its own probably because the glue is preventing it.

Anyone with any advice on what to do? Leave it cracked? Try to get the glue out? The crack is on the top from the bridge down. It's not very wide and probably doesn't go all the way through.

Plus, once it was repaired it shouldn't have opened up again, right?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I would take it back to the person that repaired it and ask him about it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Absolutely! And, if he's not willing to make it right, find a good luthier to repair it!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Not sure where you live, but are you keeping the guitar humidiifed?

The crack may have reopened due to drying out. If the humidity changes are severe enough something has to give and the previous crack would be the weakest link. If you have to heat your house in the winter, it is likely too dry for your guitar.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It was two years ago!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I know the crack originally happened because of heat and it keeps opening up for the same reason. each winter it opens up and each spring it closes again. i keep it in its' case with a humidifier in there but it doesn't help.

my question is what to do about it. i glued it myself and now it won't close because of the glue in the crack. should i just let the crack show?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

No. You need to have it repaired. IMHO.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

will it get worse if i don't?

ReplyQuote