Cracked Gibson

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
BrentB
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a 1955 Gibson J45. A taxi driver in Guatemala put the case on top of luggage in a full trunk and shut the lid,cracking tha back half way to the middle (in 1970). A couple of repair guys said to leave it alone, but recently a luthier friend of mine from Austria said he would fix it, as he owed me for a publicity campaign. Upon examining the repair at home, I noticed a small turnbuckle inside the instrument. It looks like a small house jack extending from the bottom cracked area to the top of the guitar. Evidently it was used after glue was applied to the crack.
Is this a common repair? Is it ok to leave the metal turnbuckle in? To my unrefined ear, my ol' friend Gibson sounds better than ever.

Thanks for any advice
brent

Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I would say it is a good repair, judging it scientifically or technically actually, while I am not really familiar with it. I hope somebody can shed some light. Anyway, from what I know of luthiers, and 40 years experience, I am not totally in the dark.

I think that the turnbuckle can remain, or be removed - I once owned a guitar like that, and also a 1956 J50; many others including a Dove which I sent to the luthier regularly for top straigthening. I wonder tho, if the luthier meant to leave it in?

But for sure it has solved the problem or strengthened the back of the guitar and that can't be bad, and now it sounds good!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
BrentB
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for the advice! I feel more at ease now.

BrentB

ReplyQuote