Notifications
Clear all

Cracked Guitar Neck

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@krismw)
Topic starter  

i cracked my guitar neck while screwing in new screws for the neck, im guessing the screws where too thick and the neck cracked, what do you think is the best way to fix it? try and get glue down the crack and clap it, or maybe try and pull the wood off and glue it all and clamp it (the crack starts to go outwards so the piece of wood is nearly off, but will need a bit of a pull) also what glue should i use?

heres a few pics of the neck, thanks for any help you can offer

(ill post some better pics if you cant see it properly, just let me know)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would (carefully) cut it the rest of the way off with a razor knife and reglue it using Titebond Original Wood Glue (not Titebond II, just plain Titebond, which is the water soluable type). Clamp it as you mentioned.

Did you drill pilot holes for the screws? Even if the neck has small, pre-drilled holes, you need to drill pilot hole that are only slightly small smaller than the max screw diameter (thread included). Also "lube" each screw's threads with a little wax -- I use Chapstick or similar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@krismw)
Topic starter  

ok thanks, i thought that would be the best way to do it

i didnt drill pilot holes because i was just replacing old screws so i didnt think i needed to, but i will drill the holes now, thanks for your help :)

ReplyQuote