Clear all

cracked nut

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm replacing a broken nut on an acoustic guitar. All the dim's on the new tusq nut are the same as the original nut except for string spacing.
The original nut had E-to-e string spacing of 1-7/16. The new nut is E-to-e of 1-3/8. It will be 1/16 of an inch narrower.

How much will this affect the playability of the guitar?

I could try to hand shape a new one, but I'd be very worried that the nut slots would be poorly cut, which I imaging would have a much bigger impact on the playability and tone of the guitar.

your thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
B

(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the more I think about this, the overall difference in E-to-e spacing of 1/16 would be spread among 5 different spacings E-A, A-D, D-G, G-B, and B-e. Thus, each of these spacings would be less than 1/64 narrower than before. This can't possibly be a big deal, can it?

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, now this is a 3-part question.

My last question is...what should I use to glue tusq to the wood in the nut slot? I think I have tite-bond wood glue, but not sure if that would sufficiently stick to the tusq.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I don't know if that 1/16 is gonna matter to much, but I would prefer to use the exact size. As for glueing the nut, I think it should just stay in place from the string tension and dosen't really need to be glued. It would be easier if you wanted to change it again.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I don't know what the string spacing is, but the nut on my Seagull is 1-3/4" and the nut on my Breedlove is 1-11/16". You wouldn't think the string spacing could be much different given the small difference in the overall nut width, but the Seagull feels notably wider. That said, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, as the Seagull has a 16" radius fretboard (very flat almost like a classical guitar) and I think the Breed has a 12" radius, so I'd bet that makes a much bigger difference in the way they feel than the string spacing at the nut. If I tried the two different nuts on the same guitar, I doubt I'd feel much difference.

Oh, when I put a Tusq nut on my '51, I used a dot of wood glue. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote