Clear all

CRATE vtx 200 s amp problems

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 lrs1
(@lrs1)
Topic starter  

We got this cool crate vtx 200 s amp at the school. But the problem is that after 15 to 20 mins of playing it turns itself off. And after that its impossible to use it becouse it will turn itself off 24/7 until we dont use it for a while and then its the same. Do any of you guys know what the heck is wrong whit it and how to fix that? Thanks for any answer!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a circuit breaker. The question then would be, what's shorted or drawing too much current and tripping it?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's a manual here: Well, it doesn't want to copy right, but if you Google "Crate VTX200S schematic," the first link you come to is a pdf file of the manual at Crate's site.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I was waiting for feedback and a possible fix (you might have found a circuit breaker) based on Ric's suggestions.

Anywhoo, if you're still there - I have seen a Crate, or an another amp or two where this happens - you hammer on it with a fist, and it gets going again. My own Crate had a big flash and explosion when I gave it the fist. :shock:

Soooo... if you keep doing that over and over, the amp might catch fire or just blow out in a blaze of glory. Crate has a problem with solder joints that become intermittent from vibration, and are not completely broken. They stop transmitting electrons when hot. Also, there have been resistors overheated in some of these amps - you can tell by the brown/roasted colour, or the resistors get fine cracks in them - miniscule ceramic cracks like in a coffee mug or tea cup.
You have an amp that turns on, and I am assuming that it is still "on" but not making a sound - you didn't exactly say. So, if the red light or power indicator is on, and there's silence, well... I think it is a bad solder or a cooked resistor. If the power lamp went totally out then it could easily be a short between the lacquered plates in the power supply/converter.

In rare instances, the voice coil in the speakers themselves can 'fail soft' or intermittently but they usually go completely.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote