Clear all

Cut ends of steel guitar strings?

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dahvid)
Topic starter  

Hi

What to do with the guitar string ends on a steel guitar? Those cut string-end nubs can puncture a finger on the sharp end (the low E string can puncture the finger very deep and painful) ouch!!!.

Here's some solutions I know of:

1) Wrap the string end around it's self into a lasso. This is OK, but there is still a sharp end and the string can get in the way or buzz.

2) Use a quarter to zip the string real fast like curling a ribbon. This works great, but it is a real hassle and friction burns the finger.

Any ideas how to handle the string ends when restringing the steel guitar?

Thanks

(@jbehar)
Trusted Member

A good pair of sidecutters will cut the strings flush with the post on the tuner...Don't be afraid to do it as it will not come undone....Assuming you have enough turns of the string around the post. At least two turns on wound strings at least 4-5 on the solid strings.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use a needle nose plier that has wire cutters and strippers built into it. After I've wound the string three times around the tuner, I carefully thread it through the hole, then pull it taught while tuning the string. Once tuned I snip it so theres about a 1/8 or 1/4 inch sticking out from the tuner, then I use the pliers to push the end protruding from the tuner down and out of the way.

I've done it many times over the years, still now and then end up poking myself just for old time sake...lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I go the opposite of Joe... wind first, cut after. The end result is probably the same, three turns and a very short free end. I also use needlenose pliers, but the jaws are cut short to the point where the sidecutter starts.

Yeah, that means I need another pair of needlenose for actual pliers use... but my short ones are handy to have for the guitars with a lot of headstock inlay.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dahvid)
Topic starter  

Re: needlenose pliers to cut the end.

Yeah, the pliers do leave a string nub that can cause a painful puncture wound. You can thread the string through the hole again after winding the string around the tuner, but instead of using snippers, just methodically move the string back and forth until it finally snaps off flush with the tuning post. I've tried this and it works sometimes, but other times the string looses traction and must be discarded. However, using the stringing technique outlined on this site (where the string is first pulled under and up so it catches on it's self) might make the crucial difference.

Strings are a big hassle, so I might just roll the strings in a lasso and maybe use duct tape to keep them out of the way. Considering how strings need changed often, this would be quicker and less frustrating.

Thanks for the great advice folks!

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

duct tape on the guitar, with lasoed strings??? Maybe it's just me, but i care about the appearance of my guitar... I would NEVER do that! I had my strings wound up at the headstock once, but that was until i could find a pair of side cutters!

I'm sorry, but wound strings are bad enough... you're gonna DUCT TAPE it too?

well, it's your guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I almost always stick my fingertip with a freshly snipped .010! For me at least, it's like putting a new blade in the Xacto - you just KNOW you're gonna slice or stick yourself.

And then it just about always happens.

Anyhow, I'm glad someone came up with the solution to this problem, and even though most guitars aren't equipped with them, the slotted post tuners are great for stab-prone people like me. I only wish my 12-string came with them. :)

ReplyQuote
(@esirnus)

ive been playing guitar for about 15 years now and its only when i try and remove old strings that i stick them in my finger. I have needle nose pliers and tweezers to do the string pulling now and i dont have a problem

if your stabbing yourself with the strings then maybe you need to be a bit more gentle with your axe

Es

::::: Im alright, Im alright - It only hurts when i breath :::::

ReplyQuote
(@dahvid)
Topic starter  

DemoEtc;

Where can I get those "slotted post tuners" you mentioned? It sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the feedback and please let me know where to find those slotted post tuners!

Esirnus;

Thanks for the advice to be more gentle with my axe. However, there are some moves, such as in the intro to "Little Wing", where the ring finger slides gently from the low-E string 7th fret all the way down until the string is rings open. This naturally causes the thumb to move rapidly towards the tuning posts. In fact, any downward movement from the first positions on the neck can potentially cause a puncture wound, esp when playing the slide guitar.

PsYcHoNIK;

Agreed that duct tape looks bad and I don't really use it. I am just saying that the wounds are extremely painful and the pain can last for a long time. I have seen instances where one band member swings around and the string gets in somebody's eye. I just want to avoid the problem altogether.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You can try crimping the string back over itself and tucking the cut end back into the hole after it is cut with a pair of needle nose pliers. Just leave enough when you cut it to go back in without sticking out the other side again.

Wish I could find the site I saw this on but can't remember where it was

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I've never had this problem. Sure I stick myself when I'm trying to get that little tiny string through the little tiny hole, but once they're on, I have no problems. What are you doing that's causing you to get stuck with pointy strings ends when you're playing?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@aaron-munson)
Eminent Member

I am a airplane mechaninc by trade and we use safety wire a lot for securing parts to the planes. Since saftey wire is stainless steel it leaves nasty sharp edge when cut. One of my instructor at school showed us this trick: After you snip the wire/string, tap lightly on the end with whatever tool did the cutting. The tap flatens the tiny "blade" formed by the cutting. It isn't "lawyer safe" or anything but it helps.

ReplyQuote