Clear all

Danelectro Adjustable Bridge Questions

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@marty)
Topic starter  

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new Danelectro '67 Heaven Hawk from Chicago Music Exchange. Here's a link to it for your reference:

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/danelectro-67-heaven-hawk-guitar-black

I'm not very familiar with the adjustable metal bridge that came on it, so I have a couple of questions.

The first time I changed the strings, I noticed that the bridge is secured to the body by a single screw at the back, and that the front of the bridge has 2 holes (1 at each front corner) that appear to rest on top of 2 other screws that protrude from the body. Consequently, the bridge can pivot freely around the back screw when the strings are off. When I put on the new strings and tuned them up, I noticed that the 2 front bridge holes are not exactly centered over the tops of the 2 front screws. No matter how I tried, I could not get the holes to stay centered over the front screw heads when string tension was applied. (I didn't notice if it was this way before the first time I removed the strings.) They're not off by much, but the lack of centering makes me wonder: is this normal, or do I have a problem? Before answering, read on.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that the 2 front screws are supposed to have round heads, but mine have flat heads. It seems to me that, under string tension, round heads might help consistently center the front bridge holes over the front screws. It also seems that having a consistent bridge placement would help preserve the intonation when changing strings. Is this "round head" statement (and my theory about it) correct?

Any other advice to ensure proper function of the bridge is also appreciated.

Thanks!