Clear all

DIY Output Jack Question

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@thundersloth)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a Peavey 4-string Millenium bass which as of late has given me some problems with scratching and popping when plugged in. It seems to happen when my cord drags on the floor or if it's bumped. I've tried a couple different amps and it's the same on each one. So I'm thinking it's probably a loose wire somewhere in that output jack, and my question is how easy is it to solder those wires in there if I open up the jack? Or, is this a problem that is likely coming from inside the back plate? I just had my pots replaced about 6 months ago because the tone and volume knobs were making god awful noises.

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

It seems to happen when my cord drags on the floor or if it's bumped. I've tried a couple different amps and it's the same on each one.

You tried different amps, but did you try a different cable? Do that first; also make sure the nut outside the jack is good and tight.

ReplyQuote
(@thundersloth)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmm... I'll give that a try, but I'm almost positive that I did try a different cable. Both cables are old, they're from when my parents used to play on the bandstand 15+ years ago. However, when I'm plugged in to my electric guitar, I don't have that problem at all with either cable.

As far as the nut goes, that could be my problem... The nut had fallen out so I screwed it back on (I did so as carefully as I could - holding the jack with the edge of a pick and finger tightening it on without twisting the jack itself or anything like that) When I made that repair it could have possibly damaged a wire or pulled it out of it's solder joint. I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

When I made that repair it could have possibly damaged a wire or pulled it out of it's solder joint. I'm not sure.

Probably, but do try a different cable first - it's the easiest one to check, before moving on to more intrusive things.

Do you know how to solder? If so, it should be an easy fix, if it's just a loose wire or bad solder joint. Take off the back plate and have a quick look for anything obvious.

Is it an active bass? If so, check the battery connections too.

ReplyQuote
(@thundersloth)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think you might've hit the nail on the head with the batteries for the active pickups, I didn't even consider it might be time for a change. I'll check by your suggestions :)

*edit*
On second thought, I'm not sure it's just the batteries since they're relatively new. But I will check the wiring.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Make sure you don't leave the cable hanging from the jack. Run it from the back between the strap and guitar body, which will hold it up, then turn it around and plug it in. Saves a lot of trouble.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@thundersloth)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's one of the first things that I learned when I joined the forums, I saw your post where you mentioned that :D

Good tip, I showed my buddies how to do it that way too.

ReplyQuote
(@lethargytartare)

First and foremost -- like Gabba said, check cables. Check several. I just saw a guy fight with an issue only to find later that he had TWO NEW cables, both of which were intermittently bad -- so he wasted a lot of time messing with his electronics and amps...

The jack isn't too hard to check out, and there's one easy thing to try: take the jack plate off, and gently pull it out -- you can check and see if the wires to it are all wound around the jack -- when the nut gets loose, that's something that can happen over time. you can also check that the wires are connected well to the jack. Then find the metal arm that has the v-shaped bump at the end -- that's what contacts the tip of the instrument cable. It should be slightly angled to the middle of the jack opening -- push it gently to make it angle a bit more. What that does is put more pressure on the instrument cable when it's plugged in, and if the sleeve has gotten dinged up or damaged, this can help insure a nice solid contact, and reduce the chance for noise that results from the cable jiggling around in the sleeve.

Before remounting the jack plate, you can also fully tighten the nut on the jack.

Good luck! Post updates as you work this out!

ltt

ReplyQuote
(@thundersloth)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So far I've replaced my batteries (which did help my sound, I think I was on the last leg of those 9-volts), found a newer cable, and tightened my output nut. Since then I haven't really had the problem, it pops here and there but nothing serious now. So far so good... :D

ReplyQuote