Notifications
Clear all

Dobro Problem

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chezvoz)
Topic starter  

I have a new Dobro Hound Dog guitar that has a rattle issue. The tailpiece has a very shallow angle and does not provide enough downward pressure to keep the biscuit from rattling. If I apply pressure to the strings behind the bridge, the rattle goes away. I can't see any clear way to lower the tail piece or change the angle.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem.

(@chezvoz)
Topic starter  

I have a new Dobro Hound Dog guitar that has a rattle issue. The tailpiece has a very shallow angle and does not provide enough downward pressure to keep the biscuit from rattling. If I apply pressure to the strings behind the bridge, the rattle goes away. I can't see any clear way to lower the tail piece or change the angle.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Have you tried installing the strings from the top of the tailpiece, so that they go under the edge - meaning the opposite of the standard way of doing it? This is a quite common way of applying more tension to the bridge.

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

your description is good, but seeing the what the biscuit - tailpiece arrangement might help with suggestion for the fix. can you get a pic up on photobucket or similar and link to that?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If the problem truly is lack of downforce, sometimes people run the strings upside down through the holes in the tailpiece to increase it. First, check that the floor of the soundwell is nice and flat and smooth, and that the cone isn't warped causing uneven contact. You shouldn't have to resort to increased downpressure.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chezvoz)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input. And I realized that it's a spider bridge, not a biscuit.

Anyway, with some difficulty, I wrapped one string from the top of the tailpiece and am including the photo that shows the different string angle above and below. I had to put a serious right angle bend with my point nose pliers to get it to stay. It doesn't look that great, but the rattle is gone.

How do you keep the chrome clean?
Is it preferable to use an unwound third string?

ReplyQuote
(@chezvoz)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input. And I realized that it's a spider bridge, not a biscuit.

Anyway, with some difficulty, I wrapped the strings from the top of the tailpiece. I had to put a serious right angle bend with my point nose pliers to get it to stay. It doesn't look that great, but the rattle is gone.

How do you keep the chrome clean?
Is it preferable to use an unwound third string?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I prefer a wound third string. Opinions are divided about that.

It being a spider, you need to know how to adjust the cone tension screw. That may be part of the problem.

There's a little hole in the center of the handrest. The saddles have a gap in the middle, and there's a hole in the center of the bridge with a screw in it. That screw goes into the center of the cone, and when it's tightened it pulls the spider down against the cone. Most Oriental spiders use a little straight slotted screw. Some use an Allen wrench. CAREFULLY count the fractions of a turn (1/8 turn increments is about right) as you unscrew the screw till it's loose. That's so you can get back to where you were. With a very light finger grip on the screwdriver, begin tightening it back until you feel a little resistance indicating it's taken up the slack and is just beginning to pull the bridge against the cone. Tighten it about another 1/4 turn and you'll probably be happy. Stew-Mac recommends an adjustment range between 1/4 and 1 full turn tight. Too tight, and you'll strip the screw, bend or break the spider, or crush the cone. Too loose, and the strings will feel sloppy and the thing will buzz. Tightening the screw tightens up the cone so it's stiffer as a spring. The action will rise. Too loose and it will mush down, giving a low action that feels squishy. Bass response is best when it's toward the loose side. As it gets tighter, the tone gets brighter. I think volume's greatest when it's toward the loose side. Many folks just say "tighten it just enough so it doesn't buzz."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm, I wish you hadn't posted this question in multiple forums. I don't have the energy now to figure out how to merge them together. You're getting some good responses over in Slide and Alternate Tunings as well, but it would be a lot better if they were together.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

keeping the chrome spot free is hard. there will be use patina eventually.
I wipe my resonator down with a dry soft cloth after playing. I try to reduce the amount of fingerprint
oil that is left behind.
a good polish product that removes hazing and other tarnishing is called Blue Magic.
I found it in a local car parts store in the Wax and Cleaner section.
a little goes a long way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chezvoz)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice on how to set the spider bridge up in Slide and Alternate Tunings.

I will refrain from double posting in the future.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Moved and merged.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Thanks! I was really tired when I got home. Tried and couldn't seem to get it to work.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote