Clear all

DPDT switces

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jokersworld)
Topic starter  

Hello Guitarists/Electronics Enthusiasts,

I'm new to the world of electronics - about six months into it. How do you properly ground a DPDT switch? Do I even need to? I'm working with two 9-volts to build a buffer board for my guitar.

Also, what is generally easier to work on/with Perf Boards or Printed Circuit Boards?

When using a Perf Board do you solder on top with the components or on the bottom side away from components?

thanks for any help.

- joker

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I get the impression that your circuit is not finalised and that there is still some experimentation involved.

For that reason, I'd stay away from PCBs. Unless you can buy a completed PCB for the device that you're building, you'd have to create one for yourself - that includes the whole etching process with acid and other nasty liquids.

Until you have the circuit complete, use a bread board - like a perf board, only using temporary connections. It allows you to change the circuit without soldering.

Once the circuit is complete and working on the bread board, you can transfer it to perf board with more permanent connections.

Bread Board

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jokersworld)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get a bread board started.

- joker

ReplyQuote
(@stacey78)

Hi JokersWorld,

Greybeard is right. If your still making a test for your circuit just use a perf board or a bread board because you can easily try other things on your circuit or replace components if you are using bread board or circuit. Use a PCB if you are now sure to build the circuit or if your design is final.

ReplyQuote
(@mistermikev)
Eminent Member

don't have much to add... but you asked about grounding...
fwiw:
unless the switch needs to ground something (ie you use a lug to ground the input of the buffer when switchingit off) it's probably enough to use the ground connection it will make to the cavity when installed. some folks run a ground form the circuit to a screw in the cavity... if you have copper shield in there that probably won't be nec.

hope that helps

ReplyQuote