(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Looks great -- nice job!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Beautiful!
The color is close enough to a butterscotch to look very appropriate for a Telecaster.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Definitely nice :!: If it plays as nicely at it looks and for the money you have invested in it, well then :twisted:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I was happy to stop staining once I realized that the color I had was pretty close to a stock tele color. Especially when I knew it was going to be something like three more days of staining to get the dark color I initially wanted ;)

AS a newbie I still don't really know how well it plays. Its my first electric though so compared to the fender acoustic its a dream to play. Low action is nice. Plus, its allowed me to learn how to completely set up an electric which is pretty valuable in my book. I think I've gotten every penny of my $56 out of it :D

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That is AMAZING!!!!

Cudos man!!

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Most stains are nothing more than a colored pigment suspended in solution. When you mixe your can of Minwax with a stick the pigment is that gooey stuff on the bottom. The pigment lodges itself in the grain of the wood. You slather it on, wait a few minutes and then wipe off the excess. The longer you wait the darker it becomes because more pigment falls and lodges in to the grain.

The problem here is that your guitar looks like it has a very tight grain wood. Woods like mahogany and especially oak, with its pronounced grain really take up a lot of pigment and work well with this type of stain. Woods like maple don't. You could use a pigment stain on maple all day long and get very little result. There are stains that work well with tight grain. They are called alcohol or water soluble stains. Available from refinishing supply houses. Instead of laying pigment on the wood this type of stain actually soaks into the wood, takes some practice using them but the results are fabulous as the stain enhances the wood grain. If you are staining a birdseye maple or a tiger maple this is the way to go.

Another option is gel stains. Minwax has a line of these. These are more like controllable paints than anything else. If you like the grain of your wood, be careful gel stains have a tendency to hide it.

One thing to be careful about is the end grain. End grain will soak up stain light years faster than face grain. Capillary function, I won't go into it.

After staining you still have raw wood so it will need at topcoat. That's another dissertation. LOL.

Great job.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

Looks like you did a really nice job - you could maybe supply a few lefty memebers with fake guitars!!

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Looks like you did a really nice job - you could maybe supply a few lefty memebers with fake guitars!!

If I thought I could find more left handed kits I might! ;) I have no idea where this guy found a left handed kit. I'd love to find a left handed Les Paul type kit that wasn't $400 or more.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Great job! Looks brand new!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2