Clear all

e-string keeps breaking

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When I change my strings on my guitar with a floyd rose bridge all the strings are fine exept th high e.
To get that string in to tune it has to be so tight that it breaks.

The problem I had from the beginning was that the e-string broke while I was playing. I decided to change to 10's, but I'm not sure what it was from the beginning (they were lighter, maybe 09's). Now I'm too afraid to tune the e-string after a couple of failures. Could the guitar be the problem? I have 3 months free adjustments to the guitar.

I have also had problems with the same string with my acoustic, also being hard to get in tune.

Niklas

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

a couple of things come to mind to check firstly are you tuning to the right octave? Secondly did the strings break in the same place? If so where? I only ask be cause you might have a burr somewhere. If you have three months of adjustments buy another high e and have the tech put it on.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm definativley tuning to the right octave. All the strings has broken around the nut. I'm planning to go back to the guitar shop, I just hoped I could get the help I needed here so I don't need to travel all the way in the snow and cold.
Thank you for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I think Nils recommended taking the next highest string and running it in the trough back and forth to get rid of any burrs. Not sure if there was sandpaper(very very fine) involved.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Lots of times strings break near the tuning post when tuned up, because the string's binding in the nut slot and it's a whole lot tighter between the nut and tuner than the playable part of the string is.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would double check and triple check your tuning. Does this guitar have a locking nut? If so then perhaps your over tightening the locking nut.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The string breaks before I tighten the locking nut, so I don't think that's the problem.
It always breaks on the playable part of the string.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Is it catching on the base for the lock nut?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No, it's not.
Since the first string broke while I was playing it after only one week I'm sure there is some sort of problem with the guitar.
I'll take it back to the guitar store tomorrow. I've got 1 years guarantee and 3 months free adjustment so it shouldn't be a problem getting it fixed.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

That sounds like a good idea. Being its under warranty you wouldn't want to do something that will void it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Have them check the surface of the locking nut, if that has a sharp edge itl snap that string like a little girly man in a big swedish strong thing competition deal.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Have them check the surface of the locking nut, if that has a sharp edge itl snap that string like a little girly man in a big swedish strong thing competition deal.

That was exactly the problem!
I've got it fixed now, but now I'm having trouble tuning the string without getting the string to slip.
I've tried all Nils's way to wrap the string around the tuning peg but it still slips, does anyone know another way so it doesn't slip?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

niklasroos

Are you making sure the string has slack before you start winding it? This is what I suspected on your string breaking. You cannot simply put the string through the hole in the machine head and start tuning. The string will become too taut even before it comes to correct pitch and snap.

No, the string should have enough slack so that you get a minimum of 3 or 4 wraps before it becomes taut. You probaby only need 2 wraps on the bass strings.

This is a common mistake many players make. If the string only has 1 or 2 wraps it will slip on you. But if you get 3 or 4 wraps it will not.

Here is an article on stringing a bass, but this technique works well for guitar too. Note step 4 where you pull upward on the string with your right hand to get the proper amount of slack before you start winding the tuners. Very important.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_bass.html

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I probably pulled the string too tight, but I've fixed it now.
I'll remember to leave some slack next time I restring the guitar.

But it was the piece of metal sticking out from the locking nut that was the problem. The string that came with the guitar broke after only one week while playing, and if the people at the guitar shop can't restring a guitar I guess they've got a problem :P .

ReplyQuote