Electronic Overhaul...and Problems!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

hey everyone

i recently upgraded my epi les paul COMPLETELY. i added a 4 con cable seymour duncan 59 in the enck and the Pearly Gates in the bridge, bought CTS pots, and installed switchraft toggle switch and output jack. everything SEEMED fine until I actually started playing lol.

the neck pickup is installed and works fine. however, the problem is with the bridge pickup.

the bridge tone control works as it should, but the bridge volume has an...odd problem. when i roll back the volume, it seems to roll off volume and a tiny bit of tone from 10------>2. then, at 2, the volume cuts completely. if i continue to roll back from 2--->0, there's a sudden jump in volume after it cuts, and from 2---->0, the volume lessens until it's at 0. At 0 (confused yet? :lol: ) on the bridge volume knob, there's still clearly audible sound coming from the bridge pickup.

i have no idea what I did wrong with the wiring. suggestions, anyone?
it'd be kinda nice to have a working bridge volume knob

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sorry -double post

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If the pot is not working backwards (high volume at 0, low at 10), then I will guess your wiring is correct and you have possibly installed the wrong type (not value) pot: That is it may be a linear taper pot instead of the more useful audio (log) taper pot -- or maybe even the more rare reverse characteristic audio taper pot. Loudness perception is logarithmic -- as is the (deci-)bel scale created to characterize loudness. So the most effective and usable volume controls (and usually tone controls) use logarithmic resistance change for linear rotation change to match that perception and create a usable adjustment range. An audio taper pot is usually marked in some way; IIRC, some simply use an "A".

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Linear taper is exactly what I ws thinking. :? You need an audio taper pot.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote