Clear all

EMG 81 install

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ive never done a install of a pickup i am probably gonna destroy my guitar! but hey the only way to learn is to try its a dean by the way any one ever attempted this on theres? the destructions.... i mean directions dont seem to be to difficult. any advice would be appriciated!

JErm

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well, you're already a step ahead of many people - you actually looked at the directions. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You can do it! Can you solder? This will help. My advice would be to draw a diagram of the wiring before you touch anything. That way you know where everything goes before you start. Sometimes wires magicaly become de-soldered or disconnected leaving you wondering where they go. I have found the instructions with replacement pickups to be all I needed. At the worst, if you don't break anything, a guitar tech can rewire and fix it if you totally screw up, but I think you will be fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

the soldering gun is not my friend yet! its hard to hold the wire down and the solder and the gun! and then i forgot where all the stuff goes back to ack!

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

the soldering gun is not my friend yet! its hard to hold the wire down and the solder and the gun! and then i forgot where all the stuff goes back to ack!

I don't have much experience in soldering, but I wouldn't recommend a gun. It's always seemed like it would be very unwieldly to use for fine soldering.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Is it an emg 81 active pickup? Unless your guitar already has a different type of active in there you will have to do a lot more than just put the pickup in. You have to route for a battery, and replace all the volume and tone pots I think. :o

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yes its an active i hae already replaced the pots and re did the input jack and made room for the battery im just new to this soldering thing and its kinda pissin me off its like i need 3 hands !

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i have also noticed that all the diagrams i look at online with hb/sc/sc setup and 5 way switch the switches look nothing like mine my switch has 8 posts and the ones they show are tottaly different but this was of guitarelectronics.com so are there any other sites simillar to this?

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I use a trimmed down spring loaded wooden clothes pin to hold wires in place while I solder, this works good when I can't wrap a wire in place like on a ground wire on a pot. It may burn a little bit but it won't get stuck with the solder.

I use a 45 watt pencil type of iron for light wire soldering and a 100/200 watt gun for heavier soldering. (on the bridge or the aforementioned pot shielding wire)

I also place an alligator clip between the solder point and any fragile devices like tone caps to act like a heat sink and prevent damage to them by the heat of the iron. You just gotta be careful not to solder the clip to the solder point! I actually "dirty up" the clip before I use it with a little light oil to prevent sticking. Stainless steel hemostats work great also, solder doesn't stick very well to stainless.

The key to good soldering technique is

1) Clean joints, make sure that everything that you are soldering is as clean as possible. Solder doesn't stick to dirt or corrosion.

2) The proper solder, Rosin cored electronic solder is the rule, any other solder uses an acid flux that will really corrode up the joints and ruin them in short time. Also, use the right size solder, it comes in sizes ranging from 1/8 inch to almost .030 inch diameter, I recommend using the thinnest you can get and use comfortably. Radio Shack has a good selection. The smaller the solder, the faster and easier it melts into the joint and the better you can control the amount applied. A lot of the bad joints I run across are the ones that someone couldn't get done and they pile on more solder to try to get it to work, this only results in a big ball and burnt up devices with bad connections.

3) The proper tool for the job, a good soldering iron with a properly tinned tip and the right wattage is probably the most important point. Clean the tip really well and melt some solder on the tip and wipe it off on a damp natural sponge, it should look shiny. This helps in heat transfer from the tip to the joint and prevents overheating.

The key to good soldering is to make the joints quickly. Make your connections using the proper tools or wrapping keeping as close tolerances as possible, Apply the iron to the joint firmly and count to five slowly(one thousand one, two thousand two,.....) then apply the solder to the junction of the iron and joint. It should flow smoothly and quickly. Apply just enough solder to make the connection, no more. If you find that the solder doesn't flow after five seconds, use a higher wattage iron. Just letting the iron sit on the joint longer lets the heat travel up or in the joint possibly damaging the devices. A good joint looks bright and shiny, not dull, and the areas that the solder fills are softly curved. If the tip of the iron gets loaded up with solder just wipe again on the sponge.

Lastly, practice makes perfect, it takes a certain touch to do it easily, practice on some junk until you become proficient. It's not hard but it does take doing it a few times to get down well. Soon you will get to the point that you can do this without thinking. :wink:

Have fun!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote