Notifications
Clear all

Epi LP pickup / switch woes

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tonedepear)
Topic starter  

Afternoon all. Firstly, let me apologise for taking up all your time with what is probably a silly question. I am a super-noob here, and I feel a bit guilty for just turning up and asking for help without being a part of the community first. Give and take and all that. I HAVE had a search around and can't find anything that really helps someone with as little idea as me! Anyway, I'm boring you already, so I'll get on.

I have an Epiphone LP Special (that's the cheap, cacky one). It has 2 pickups, one volume control knob, one tone control knob, and a three way switch which I take to be treble, both, bass. (Or Pickup1, both, pickup2).

Since starting playing properly again it seems that I only have the bass pickup. When I have the switch to bass (or rhythm, or whatever it says), I get a nice full sound, in the middle, I get the same, and when it's set to treble I get nothing. So there's obviously an issue there. Now, the switches on these things are fairly notorious for being rubbish. As are the contol knob thingies. So I'm expecting it to be an issue with them.

Now here's my noob-ness showing - where do I start. I've not had a look in the back yet cos I'm at work all day, so it may be obvious when I do that there's a wire hanging loose or something, but how can I eliminate things and work out where the actual problem lies?

Any top tips or links or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tone

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Start by taking the cover off switch compartment and check for loose wires or dirt on the switch.
As you so rightly say, the switch seems to be notorious for causing problems, even in relatively new instruments. If you're handy with a solderig iron, it's probably worth the few dollars to put a Switchcraft switch in, rather than spend time nursing the original.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tonedepear)
Topic starter  

Thank you kindly. :D

I'll have a poke around tonight and see what I can see.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You're welcome.
And welcome to the madhouse.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Are you sure you have the volume turned up on the "treble" pickup - that would be the knob bottom front.

Just checking ;)
and welcome!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, he's only got one master volume...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome to guitarnoise.

That is one of those common problems that can really distract one while playing. As others have suggested take a look for broken wires and if there's a little round cover on the back behind the three way switch remove it and see if the contacts are bent. If they are you could adjust them enough to get you by till you can pick up a new three way switch.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Well, he's only got one master volume...

:? :oops: :shock: :idea:

You see my LP has two ... but then again I obviously did not read the post. Sorry, it will happen again.

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, it will happen again.
I'm sure it will :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

if your doing some repair soldiering, you may consider wiring your pickups out of phase with each other. it should only affect the sound of the two pickups together, all you have to do is find the two wires that are coming off of one of your pickups that are soldiered to the switch and the ground. (most new humbuckers have 4 wires, two of these will be attached to each other, those are not the wires I am refering to) then when you have found the right wires just switch them. this will cause your pickups to be out of phase and sound rather nifty. also it's easy to do and easy to change back if you don't like the sound. also it's free.

and as to your switch, if you spray either wd40 or some kind of contact cleaner in it it will work loose any gunk in it and make it switch a lot better.

although it sounds like you have a loose wire. :P

hope this helps

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote