Skip to content
Faded Paint and Chi...

Notifications
Clear all

Faded Paint and Chips on 1950's Fender Telecaster, and Super Dry Cracked Guitars help and estimate?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kyle0624)
Topic starter  

Hello, I have a 1950s Fender telecaster with chips and faded paint with some neck issues, a really dehydrated, and very old rare classical that is cracking and dying, and a super old national guitar that has a crack every square inch. (I will provide link to images)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zWDCmS9zLAIRYAox6_vgn_JweZ_-kYOLP4KeaVR8SCQ/edit?usp=sharing

My Grandpa, who dedicated his life to guitar (I am 15), did everything from teaching to gigs to cds and everything else. He taught me how to play when sense I was 5 and that's where I got my skill set. He recently passed away a few months ago and I am now in possession of the guitars he has been playing his whole life. I got three guitars and all have damage, and I feel all are from natural wear and tear through a lifetime and not enough humidification. Cracks, Chips, Faded Paint, Paint starting to crack, and body cracks. I plan on using guitar as my passion and career in life and I want these guitars to last my lifetime, even though they have wear and tear from his entire lifetime. (Ballpark) How much would these usually be to fix? Would some of repairs lower value of guitars? What cannot be fixed?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zWDCmS9zLAIRYAox6_vgn_JweZ_-kYOLP4KeaVR8SCQ/edit?usp=sharing

1. I got a Fender Telecaster, (Pretty sure 1958). Has the least damage. Faded paint on lower body, the neck has a weird dark stain and a wood whole on frets 1 and 2 near B and e string. then around side body there is faded paint and chips. Looks like its took a couple falls. How much for this?

2. National Guitar is super duper dry, has a flatter tone now, cracks all over, and the front panel is literally starting to peel off. It's so old. How much for this?

3. Classical guitar, its is so old and idk what brand. The inside just says it was repaired in eighties. If anyone can figure out brand that would be amazing. But this is my favorite because of its lovely sound. Yet I am always humidifying it because it has a big crack on the sidewall of body, big crack from bottom to bridge, and then to sound hole, weird dry spots all over that idk how to get out, and finally it has a weird stain like dry thin spot near sound hole. I honestly don't know what the black thing attached it, and if anyone could tell me what that is I would appreciate it a lot. How much for this?

This gives me high anxiety because I love these guitars and want to play them all my life, but being 15 it is harder to get money. I don't want them to crap out, keep cracking, etc. What can I do? How much? What can't be repaired? And How much value would be took away from original value of guitars?
Whats the best thing I can do for the guitars right now?

(@oversword)

Don't you dare do anything to the finish on any of those guitars. I hope I got you this message in time. If you touch the finish on any old and valuable guitar you will devalue it big time. Let's say your 58 tele is worth $20k as is. Touch the finish and it will go down in value to maybe $9k if you're lucky.
Nobody that knew what they were doing would touch those if you took it to them

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I would take them to a qualified luthier to at least get an estimate to stabilize and repair them. Like the previous poster said I would not touch the finish on them. You want to preserve them.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote