Skip to content
Feedback is only go...

Notifications
Clear all

Feedback is only good if you can control it, please help.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nhboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So over the last couple months I've bought and recieved a Gibson SG Special Faded and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Thing is, the feedbacks tough. I think that it's the p-ups but I don't know. With distortion, or at a certain volume, if there is one string that i don't mute i get terrible feedback. If anybody could help, i'll appreciate it

(@nhboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

anybody got anything? is this normal or what?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You could try putting a small piece of foam (like the kind they ship fruit with). Cut it about 1/8" by 1/4" by little wider than the neck. Then slide it up under the strings. You'll have to experiment on the size. You don't want it to completely dampen the strings just enough to silence the open strings.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

IF it's happening with both I'd say it's your amp.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Unlikely to be the amp -- the pups are probably microphonic. This means they unitentionally pick up vibrations acoustically, as well as (intended) magnetically. Usually pups are impregnated with (hot) wax to reduce microphonics. It's very possible yours have not been dipped. This, coupled with an especially "live" (resonant) guitar body and higher volume playing, will lead to what you describe. You may be able to find a tech that will dip your pups, or at least check to see if they are -- this is usually pretty obvious.

It is possible to learn to play with microphonic pups. Joe's foam damping solution and learning to finger mute unused strings are technics that will help. Also, some players like microphonic pups/guitars because they feel more "alive" and touch sensitive. But. of course, YMMV.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I wax potted the pickups on my Epi Les Paul all by my little self. :)

I can't find the original tutorial I used, but this one is pretty comprehensive.

It only took a couple of hours from start to finish. If you're not afraid to take your guitar apart, it's a fairly easy process that will likely help your situation. :)

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ah Gnease I'd forgotten about potting. I did that myself awhile ago. Pretty easy fix.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote