Clear all

Filing Sharp Fret Ends

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone got any suggestions or is it really the job of a luthier as many guitar etup sites suggest. Has anyone here done this procedure and were you happy with the results? I have one of those squier 51's that everyone needed to own awhile ago and like the tones I get from it but a few of the fret ends need dressed so it is not as nice to play as I would like. It was not expensive but I still don't want to ruin it with a butcher job if you get my drift. I am relatively good with my hands and do own a dremel. But it appears like Stewmac sells specific files etc. Any suggestions apppreciated
Robbie

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've done this for two of my 51s so far - my Taylor T5 went to a luthier (and under warranty).

I bought Stew-Mac's triangular fret dressing file. It has smooth corners that supposedly do not dig into the wood, but I didn't trust it totally, so also taped the fretboard to protect it. I ended up filing the fret ends to sort of soft/rounded triangular shape as viewed looking down onto the f'board. Very comfy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Gnease thanx for the reply. Looks like I will try get some proper files before tackling this job. I did see on one site where taping the fretboard was recommended and I am guessing with patience that I can't screw up too badly. As I said the guitar sounds cool but just a tad uncomfortable to play.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Be careful to just knock the sharp edge off; you don't want to remove too much, as the strings may have a tendency to slip off the fret while playing. That is a real pain, as I own a couple guitars that the frets are too short for my liking.

After you remove too much material, you sure can't put it back! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Has anyone got any suggestions or is it really the job of a luthier as many guitar setup sites suggest.
Has anyone here done this procedure and were you happy with the results?
I have one of those squier 51's that everyone needed to own awhile ago and like the tones I get from it but a few of the fret ends need dressed so it is not as nice to play as I would like.
Robbie
I have done it on a cheap Stratocaster copy with good result.
Used a flat fine grounded file (for metal work) and run it a few times along the side of the fretboard.
Just enough to grind of the fret ends that was protruding out of the fretboard side.
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx all I appreciate your input. Will try to find a harmless looking file that won't do more damage than good and give it a try.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@69tele)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Cool file, and in agreement with all posts above. I use an old ignition point file, or two, but a purpose-built file is always better. :D

And it's good to use gnease's taping method; masking tape I believe it is, wrapped around all areas you don't want to scratch.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've done this with a couple of bargain guitars I have bought and it came out just fine. I masked my neck off to prevent scratching just like Greg said.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote