Clear all

filling in a pickup cavity

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@domsdos)
Topic starter  

Hi Folks,

I've recently bought a 1984 gibson explorer very cheaply. Beautiful guitar, with one flaw. The Tw@t that owned it previously, tried (very badly) to route a third pickup cavity into the middle of the body (hence the price). I need to repair this, i'd like to do it without refinishing the guitar, it's black and has aged beautifully (with the exception of a bloody great hole in the middle). It's way to deep for wood filler, and i'm pretty sure the guitar is mahogany, Any ideas?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

How about filling most of it auto fiberglass? I'd fill it a little below the level and then fill the rest flush with something more pleasing to the eye.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd suggest something similar to Nick, but using a block of wood rather than fibreglass and epoxy rather than fibreglass resin. The wood will give you a flat surface (that the pretty top can sit on) that will be difficult to achieve with fibreglass. When fibreglass resin goes off it generates a lot of heat - it might just be enough to damage the finish, especially if the rear "wall" (bottom of the cavity) is thin.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I've done similar, but 'was' (past tense) fortunate to have money ($650 - 15 years ago) to have a luthier repair my repair :shock: with a custom cut and unreal - matching block of maple into a vintage Les Paul. It was good and added about $1500 - $2000 to the price of the guitar factoring in that it was already @ 50% of its potential value with the refin & non-original attempts at finding similar pickups. Someone had made a Les Paul Custom/Std. hybrid out of a Deluxe, which had mini-humbuckers??

Anyhow, work carefully with what the guys said and you can produce a solid result, which will restore the guitar decently. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@domsdos)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies folks,

I wish i had the cash for a lutier Blue Jay but thats not an option at the moment. It'd be good to find a matching block of mahogany and then finish it, but that might be above my skill. i'm not sure about the finish i don't know if it's polyuerethane or acrylic, i'm guessing it's a nitrocellulose laquer, but i'm not even sure about that. Do any of you folks know about this model? Cheers for your help so far :)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks for the replies folks,

I wish i had the cash for a lutier Blue Jay but thats not an option at the moment. It'd be good to find a matching block of mahogany and then finish it, but that might be above my skill. i'm not sure about the finish i don't know if it's polyuerethane or acrylic, i'm guessing it's a nitrocellulose laquer, but i'm not even sure about that. Do any of you folks know about this model? Cheers for your help so far :)

Back in 1984, it would be nitro - they still may be, I don't know - Gibson likes their old methods, but new rules don't allow - I'm just not up to date on that. A quick call to 1-800-4GIBSON would resolve any questions, or write to Valley Arts. I once owned a Gibson Explorer and a Valley Arts Telecaster. Good luck sir! :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Arts_Guitar

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote