Finger-Ease Application Question

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here's what it says on the back of the bottle verbatim:

"Spray strings with a rapid sweeping motion the length of the fingerboard. Spray back of neck lightly, the polish. Makes palm slide smoothly over neck. Allow a fe moments for drying then enjoy."

So my question is: do you only polish the back of the neck or do you do the same with the fretboard as well?

I think you just spray the fretboard and let it dry for a little but the directions are a bit vague. When I do this I like how it works but I've noticed some "muck" on my fretboard which has led me to believe that maybe I should have wiped off the spray from the fretboard.

I've searched everywhere online but haven't been able to find more explicit directions.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

- Mike

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Anything oil-based on the neck will trap dust and build up into gunk. You're only going to avoid it by not looking after your fretboard. Don't worry about, just clean it off every now and then :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The original cans also said something about it 'helping to soothe sore fingers' (I don't read the cans anymore - I just buy it and use it), so I used to spray it on the fretboard/strings and also my fingertips.

Usually I lightly spray the strings and leave it through the session, and if things start getting that squeaky/rubbing/friction feeling again, I spray my fingertips.

When I play live, I usually dowse it real good right before I go onstage so it'll last the entire set. It seems to somehow work in conjunction with finger-sweat in a way that seems different from petroleum based oil - which I never use on strings. Lemon oil fretboard cleaner maybe, but never petro stuff like 3-In-One or WD-40.

When I'm done playing, I wipe the fretboard and strings, making sure I get a fingernail under the string to get the gunk underneath. In some ways Fingerease seems to work like a gunk-solvent or string-cleaner. I have string-cleaner too, but Fingerease seems to do the job in a pinch.

I've also used it as an emergenty contact cleaner, but I think that might be the propellent.

I like the stuff actually. I wish they'd kept the original yellow/orange cans though, with the metal cap. The new plastic caps seem to fall off too easily.

The gunk you're finding might be the crud that's already on the strings/fingerboard that Fingerease is lifting off, so a good fretboard cleaning might be in order.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

When I play live, I usually dowse it real good right before I go onstage so it'll last the entire set. It seems to somehow work in conjunction with finger-sweat in a way that seems different from petroleum based oil - which I never use on strings. Lemon oil fretboard cleaner maybe, but never petro stuff like 3-In-One or WD-40.
I use 3-In-One, never had any problems with it. In fact I started using it for the reason you mention previously, I got sick of fingerease and the like wearing off in 5 minutes. An application of 3-in-one lasts all night as opposed to 5 minutes, and the smallest can you can get lasts years as opposed to a month :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hmm, cool!

My applications tend to last, but when I say I spray it on, I really do - so like there's ripples and it's almost dripping. I think it also has to-do, at least in my case, with whether or not I wash my hands right before; if there's old sweat or grunge from carrying amps and setting stuff up, it tends to gunk up even with the Fingerease

Here's another question: maple fretboards vs rosewood or ebony...any difference?

I tend to use Fingerease more on the maple (finished) fretboards.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Here's another question: maple fretboards vs rosewood or ebony...any difference?
All my fingerboards are a dark wood, so they're probably not maple (one of them is stained dark though, so I guess it could be anything under there) - that's about as much as I know on the subject :wink:

I've tried hundreds of guitars in my time (benefits of having family who own a music shop :)) and I've never got the difference between any of the types I've tried, so I've relegated the importance to being nothing more than aesthetic in my mind. I'm sure there's something subtle there that I just don't get, but meh, that's just the way my head works. There's not enough space in there for everything, so it concentrates on storing what seems to be most important at the time...

ReplyQuote