Clear all

Fixing a dull spot on my guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sfcmikej)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I am just getting back to playing after about 20 years away from the guitar. I pulled out my acoustic guitar, it is a Morris PA50 acoustic electric, I had autographed by Joe Diffie. Back in the day I was concerned that the autograph would be damaged by playing it but buying another one was not in the budget back then, plus it played great.

I took it back to where I bought it and they covered the autograph with what I was told was polyurethane. That was about twenty five years ago. Now I notice that the spot they covered is very dull and it definitely takes away from the aesthetics of the guitar.

I am looking for some guidance on how to fix that spot without having to refinish the entire top of the guitar or damaging the autograph. I am a little worried about damaging the rest of the existing finish and I would really like it all to blend together seamlessly.

Any ideas or guidance?

Thanks

Mike J

(@sfcmikej)
Topic starter  

Hey All,

Although I didn't get a response here I found some stuff out on Youtube and I am not new to refinishing wood. I bought some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Fine Cut Cleaner at an auto parts store. As you can see it is a 5 on a 0 (light cut) to 10 (heavy cut) abrasive. I used a regular waxing pad from the auto parts store and made it damp and rubbed on the product polishing the surface then wiped it off using a microfiber cloth. It worked great although I went a little too far and damaged the autograph a bit. Maybe I should have switch to the lighter cut compound.

I also got the finer cut polishing compound which is labeled as a 2, and some Plexiglas polishing compound that would make it like a mirror but found I didn't need them and the first compound pretty much created a finish that match the rest of the guitar and I was starting to damage the autograph

The autograph was done with a sharpie and I am considering whether to repair it or not. What is you opinion on that?

Also, I think I essentially removed the polyurethane protective cover that the shop put on. I want to protect the autograph and I am considering some of the wipe on thin polyurethane products out there. I want it to blend in with the existing finish. Any ideas on how to do that?

I added the pictures below so you can see the result and the product I used. Unfortunately I didn't take a before pic so you can't see the difference.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

No, don't try fixing the autograph. It's worth more "faded" than "bodged"

I think we can all use this as an object lesson - stuff you use to polish your car is ok with your hunk of metal in the garage, but will mess up your substantially more delicate axe

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sfcmikej)
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan, I was thinking the same about the autograph. I have to differ with you on the other comment. It worked exactly as I expected it to and as advertised and demonstrated on numerous sites. I made the mistake of not being cautious enough. Probably should have left the beer drinking to after the repair. I probably should have used the lightest cut polish first to see how it would do. I am thinking it was my impatience not the product that was the problem. It restored the luster to the finish and has been able to repair a few other scratches perfectly in the finish. I am very pleased with the result just disappointed that I went a bit too far. I offer that as guidance to others who may have issues in their finish they want to repair.

I am still looking to some how seal the autograph to prevent any more wear. Any ideas out there?

Thanks again Alan for the input, very mush appreciated.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@timtheshredder)

This turned out great other than a few scratches in the autograph. Post some pics of the before. I'd be interested to see how it looks before you started working on it.

My Gear:
LP Custom Sunburst
SG Reissue
1960 Clapton LP Reissue
Fender Strat '57 Reissue
And many more...

"Learning to play guitar is easy. Learning to Rock 'n Roll is another thing."

-Jack Black

ReplyQuote