Notifications
Clear all

Floyd Rose Intonation issues.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jethro-rocker)
Topic starter  

Hey all. I have used a Rose Licensed Ibanez for a few years and have no issues other than the sometimes painstaking tuning. I just got a new Epiphone with an Original Floyd Rose and the intonation is quite off. The problem I'm having is when I set intonation on low E, the saddle moves back far enough that there is very little leverage for the fine tuner to work on - that is, as I tune sharper it becomes so stiff (again, no leverage to work on) that it stops turning. Set intonation back - saddle comes forward, tuner moves easily and intonation is now out again. Hmmm.. not sure why it's out so far or if there's any way to fix this? Neck seems good, no big gap in neck joint...thanks!

(@deeaa)
Trusted Member

Hey JethroR,

A couple of things I can think of to check...

First, make sure that you are indeed having to go that far. Check the tuning on open E and then go down the string to G, A etc. and see if *they* are intonated & in tune. IMO it is seldom important to have the low E intonated well past 10th fret or so any way. If you do play the string that high up, you usually kinda crimp it tighter anyway to correct intonation.

That is because sometimes when checking the intonation you can accidentally get past the right point and start intonating to some harmonic tone instead of the actual same note.

But if I assume you've done everything right and no issues there and the lower notes G, A etc. are indeed spot on, just the high 12th fret is off...well, that's something that has happened to me often as well.

IF the bridge is set too close the only thing you can do to counter the effects is use a thinner string. I used to have that problem a lot when I used a .52 or .54 on my guitars; on most guitars I had to shorten the bridge saddle or turn it around like on my Gibson LP to get enough adjustment space, and still it wasn't enough. Hell in the 90's on Fender strats a .52 didn't even fit thru the tuning post hole! With a thinner string it's much easier, though.

So...if you have regular strings, like up to .46 or so at least, it should work...and if it still doesn't, well the guitar is made wrong.

I am amazed in this day and age of CNC machines they still manage to mess it up...just a while back I worked on this lower-end LTD guitar (a hundred series superstrat) and the locking nut was indeed set too far from the first net...no way to intonate it properly without re-setting the nut. Seems crazy on a CNC built factory made guitar, but it's a fact it was done so.

I even thought could it be they purposely make the lower-end ones like that, so as to create enough differences between them and more pricey ones.

--
Vocalist/guitarist/producer-engineer.

A couple of my own bands:
http://www.mikseri.net/spookbox - garage/grunge rock
http://www.mikseri.net/whobody - pop rock
http://www.project-43.com - classic heavy rock

ReplyQuote