Notifications
Clear all

fret replacement on a repaired guitar

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@topodj)
Topic starter  

Hi. I'm fixing a guitar to give my daughter for her birthday (Halloween). The headstock was broken off at the first fret, and that fret is missing. The glue-up and sanding have gone well, with the exception of a 3/64ths to 1/16th inch gap where the first fret should go. I have a piece of fret wire, but need to know how best to install it. I was thinking of filling the gap with the same wood glue I used on the headstock, and setting the fret before it sets up. Would it be better to just seal the gap and file a new slot? If so, where can I find info on doing this? This will not be used for pro gigs, but I'd like it to be playable. Thanks.

(@austintechsaudio)

I'm gonna tell you a quick and easy fix. Note that this is not what i would do for a customer, which would be, fill, reslot, install, then level, but it's your guitar and if you're ok gluing it back together, then you're ok for this.

Make sure that the fret is mooth (free of kinks and dents) and slightly radiused so the ends will stay down. Glue that sucker into the slot with super glue making sure it seats good (no gaps along bottom edge) and hold in place till dry.

Normally, this is an awful way to repair anything but you should be ok because it's the first fret. If it's a different size fret, dry fit it and check the nut slot height, the fret should be lower.

Once again, this is a terrible repair and i would never recommend it to a customer. In fact, you should have taken the axe to a professional in the first place. Good luck though, I'm sure she'll love it.

ReplyQuote