Fretboard Maintenan...

Notifications
Clear all

Fretboard Maintenance

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Well chilluns I'm gonna restring and cleeeeeeeeeean my pweeeeeeeety guitar today.

Not that it needs new strings, just cause I want to clean it.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Can ya'll see my picture to the left?

It was having some problems.

ReplyQuote
(@daria)
Trusted Member

Nope, can't see the pics.
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that you should only oil your fretboard like once a year. Is that true?  ???

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Nope, can't see the pics.
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that you should only oil your fretboard like once a year. Is that true?  ???

It depends on the guitar.  How does the fretboard look.  If its dry after twop months, then oil it again.  If it looks fine for a year, then wait a year.  Unlike changing the oil in your car, its not a standard thing...

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@firemanjerry)

Hey all, I'm a newbie here but wanted to add my 2 cents, I use Old English on my fretboards. It works great to clean off the gunk, treats the wood and I've never experienced a problem with any type of corrosion due to the Lemon Oil.  I use it simply because it's handy around the house, (the wife uses it to clean the wood cabinets and furniture). ::)  
PS I've also been known to lick my guitar.  :P

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member

Is it possible to over oil the fretboard? Can one do it too much?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Is it possible to over oil the fretboard? Can one do it too much?

Yes, one can.

When you oil the fretboard, put the oil on and leave it for a couple of minutes, then wipe off any excess. If the oil sinks in and disappears as soon as you put it on, then the fretboard needs more.

So many people will tell you that lemon oil is bad for wood because it is acidic. Wood itself is acidic and will not be harmed by lemon oil. There is a possibility that leaving fret wire covered in lemon oil will result in corrosion, but the amounts left after treating the fretboard (and wiping it clean) are so small that I'm personally not sure that there can be any real effect, although I'll gladly hear any substantiated argument to the contrary.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2