Fun Bass guitar repair project

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well, I figured I should post my topic here istead of the bass forums because its about repair and maintenance. But anyway, I was over my cousins house on saturday and they eventually asked me if I wanted an old guitar. I was struck off guard and agreed to see it. well, when I first looked at it the first thing to hit me was that it wasnt just a guitar, its was a bass guitar. And secondly that it was covered in so much dust, dirt, grim, and spiderwebs that at first I thought it was a fender. but its not. it ended up being a peavey. Im not sure what model or anything, I havnt looked it up yet but I will. here are the before and after pictures. the beforse pictures, believe it or not are AFTER I cleaned all the spiderwebs off of it. the after pictures are after I fixed it up.

Before
Full pic

Bridge pic

Body pic

Neck pic

So I took the whole thing apart. All the electronics, bridge, strap nuts, neck, tuning pegs, everything. Cleaned it all down with surpizingly... WD-40! I didnt have any lighter fluid so I figured that should work and it did, all the gunk came off and some tape that was on it. and it all dissapated and didnt really leave a smell, if I did have a faint smell I wiped it down with a damp cloth and it was gone. finally I glossed it, polished it, and wiped it down. For the neck I wiped it down and then I used the forums advice (Thanks IT Helped A LOT!!!!!!!!)to use some steel wool (ooooo) to get the dirt out and shine up the frets. lastly I wiped 2 coats of lemon oil on the fretboard since it was in a dry garage for 10 years.
The tuning pegs were full of gunk and wierdly, some hair? but I took them totally apart and washed them all out and took all the grease off. Put them back together and used some really nice lube I use for my bike chain since the tuning pegs were open gears. Its called "Boeshield T-9" it works wonders and was designed by the boing company for their airplanes. after I got them set back on I cleaned the pickup and pickguard and put them back on. Then I attached the neck and vualla! I'm done.
So not the body looks nice as well as the head and the neck has a nice deep shine to it. any Ideas on the model please post.

After

Full body

Bridge 1

Bridge 2

body

neck

Head

Back

Ok well I finally got the string to stop buzzing temporaoally. I put pater at the nut which helpd but made the string rise quite a bit off the fretboard causing a little buzzing on the lower frets and making it a little harder to fret on the higher frets.

Here is the link to the sound file:
http://bstguitarist.dmusic.com/
just click on the peavey patriot part to listen

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

forrok_star
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Looks great you did a fine job. I'll bet it will play just fine when your finished.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Pilot
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Beautiful work! Sort of like restoring antique furniture or a classic car, it's very cool to see a nice piece come out of what looked like...well, just a piece :lol:

ReplyQuote
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks! I had fun doing it too! Yeah, it wa time consumingt but it was well worth it.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

ReplyQuote
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well I did some internet research and I found out that this is most likely a "Peavey Patriot". Since this guitar was made in the early 80's into the 90's and since the serial number ends with "82" I think mine was made in 1982. It definitly has the influence.

ReplyQuote
Chalmodo
(@chalmodo)

thats damn rocking right there... and what a colour!

let us know what it sounds like too! :D

Chalmodo

all you need is to be human to be able to rock.
just dont be sad if some of us are more human than others.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That's mighty fine detailing job you did. That just goes to show what HARD work produces.

I'm looking for an old beater to fix-up myself.

ReplyQuote
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yeah, I did put a lot of hard work into it, I need to buy a pack of strings for it so thats when Ill tell you what it sounds like. I will also try and post a sound clip if you are interested. BTW it is really fun to take a guitar that looks like Cr*p and make it gleam in the light. ahh, what a feeling of accomplishment. hope you find one! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
forrok_star
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'd like to hear it when your finished. It's a great start on learning repairing guitars.

joe

ReplyQuote
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just picked up a pack of new strings and two new replacement knobs yesterday and will be putting them on today so I will post the end results!

ReplyQuote
97reb
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I hope You have a Bass amp to play thru. Remember, don't play thru a guitar amp, they aren't designed for those deeper tones.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

sorry, I don't lol. I rarely play bass with an amp so when I do I always keep it very low.

ReplyQuote
forrok_star
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You could think about getting one of those headphone pre-amps. I know their old but Rockman made one that sounded great, I don't know of any of the newer ones. They go real cheap on E-bay, maybe worth cheching out. rockman-bass_Musical-Instruments

jusy a though..joe

ReplyQuote
bstguitarist
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, I also have to get the bass a new A string cuz this was my first time ever putting on bass strings and i accidentally cut this one too short so it isnt forced down far enough on the winding peg and it keeps buzzing whenever I play it open.

ReplyQuote
DemoEtc
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Nice job on that -- I love the color, especially now that you can actually 'see' it, lol.

Oh, and as it is from the 80s as you found out, that would explain the hair in the tuners! You know, 'hair-bands' and guys wearing the instrument down low so the headstock is right up to their ear?

Excellent job though, have to say that again.

And by the way, your 'before' pictures would be great advertisement for why one should always buy a case!

Take care

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2