Notifications
Clear all

Fun Bass guitar repair project

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

....so....any progress? Love to hear a followup on this cool looking bass.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well, I don't wanna post the sound yet until I get the buzzing away. I think there is one of two possible problems with the bass.

1) I cut the bass string too short when I put it one and consiquently isn't pushed down enough below the nut and buzzes.

or

2) the nut it worn down too much or it is defective or something and it makes the buzzing.

BTW the buzzing is on the A string.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I posted a new sound clip just look at the original post with all the pics and at the bottom it a description of the sound file and a link to it.

Bstguitarist,
Enjoy,
:!:

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

How cool is that! You take a bass that nobody wanted, cleaned it up, strung it, and recorded with it. I think that's the ultimate.

Good job man!

Anyhow, yes, prolly if you put another A string on it (on basses, just pull the new string about 2 inches past the post to give it enough to wind), it should be okay. If it's the nut, it might've warped a little over the years, with just the A and G string holding it down. Easy enough to replace or have someone redo for you.

Again good job on this. I love to see 'Old Ones' restored, and then used for something and not just set aside.

Take care and thanks for the followup!

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! I apreciate the comment :D ! BTW the nut seems to be glued down so it would be a tricky fix lol :cry: Ill figure it out.

Bstguitarist,
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Usually are glued down, but supposed to be only with a small drop of glue (see related topic, "getting your nut off" for a good link) so that it comes off with a slight (hopefully) tap. Then you get into the territory of buying files and learning how to cut string slots.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Here's a good link that was in the "getting your nut off" thread It's from Noteboat.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/nuts.htm

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2