Clear all

G string coming out of tune?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm a beginner of 3 months with an acoustic Yamaha 403gs. The past two nights that I've been playing the G string has gone out of tune and I don't mean by a tiny amount. It's very noticeable when it happens and it seems to only do it once during my practice sessions of 2 hours or so.

For instance last night I was working on my strumming patterns and syncing, so I'm strummin' away trying to keep time with the metronome and next thing I know my chord sounds weird. A quick run through the strings and the G string is way off. So I tune it up and it's fine after that.

It's happened twice now in two consecutive nights. My guitar was setup by my former teacher so the strings are fairly new. I've noticed that the tuners sometimes seems to be pretty easy to turn by a quarter turn or so, almost as if they have some play in them.

Does this sound like a string problem or a tuner problem? I can post pics if that would help.

Thanks

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Look at the end of the tuning knob, there may be a small screw set in there. If there is, take a small screwdriver and tighten the screw a little (not too much, it makes turning the knob very difficult). Repeat tightening until the string stays in tune.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member

The string may be slipping through the hole in the post on the machine head, it's best to cross the string over itself, just loosen it off a lot and rewind.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

He doesn't say that he's changed the strings and it seems to have started happening over the last few days, so I'm not sure that it will be slippage, could be wrong though.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Look at the end of the tuning knob, there may be a small screw set in there. If there is, take a small screwdriver and tighten the screw a little (not too much, it makes turning the knob very difficult). Repeat tightening until the string stays in tune.

Thanks, Greybeard, I do recall a small screw there on the tuning knob. I'l certainly give it a closer inspection.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Another common problem is the string binding in the nut slot and later slipping. Especially common when you've gone to larger gauge strings than shipped with the guitar.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Another common problem is the string binding in the nut slot and later slipping. Especially common when you've gone to larger gauge strings than shipped with the guitar.

hmmm, I'll certainly check to see if I notice a difference between this string and any of the others where it goes into the slot.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote