Notifications
Clear all

G String on Mexican Strat

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmy-d)
Topic starter  

New to this forum and need some help. I've got a one year old Mexican Strat. I had a tech do a set up when I first got it and it played fine. Then I got lazy and didn't play much this year. I PROMISE to change that in 2009! Anyway, the g string sounds fine when I play it open, but sounds awful (sharp) when I play it on 2nd fret, as in a D chord. What to do? Seems silly to take it back to the shop for one string, but I can't do much without a D!

Thanks,

Jim

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Adjust the intonation. And make sure the nut slot's not cut too shallow for that string, or that the string's not oversized for the slot, making it sit too high on the nut.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy-d)
Topic starter  

Thanks. Hope I'm not sounding dumb here, but how do you adjust intonation?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

From Googling the words "adjust intonation Strat" I found this from Fender among many other pages:
http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy-d)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks. Hope I'm not sounding dumb here, but how do you adjust intonation?

Ricochet's already given you the link to Fender's setup guide. If it's been a year or more since it was last setup, you may want to check all of the things on that list, in the order given. Just remember to change your strings before you do ANYTHING else.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote