Notifications
Clear all

Gibson Explorer Restoration

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarmaniac)
Topic starter  

Okay so here's the deal. I've recently accuired a Gibson Explorer E2 with a currly maple body. Its all vintage except for one Di Marizio pickup and a serious mod to the bridge. The guy I got it from took it into a guitar shop and got the guitar routed out where the original bridge should be so he could put a floyed rose like bridge in it. I fell this was a HUGE mistake on his part because now it just doesn't sound the way it should. I was really wondering if there is any possible way to fill in the spot he routed out and put the original bridge back on, It's a pretty big hole. I know that no tree has the same grain but could it possibly be done somehow?
There are also a few spots where the finish has wore off due to transition from hot to cold. But I'm sure that's fixable. What do you think?

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Virtually anything can be done if you're willing to put the time, effort, and resources including money into it.

You're describing a BIG job, though. In theory, an appropriate piece of wood could be purchased, cut to measure (you want to match the three dimensional shape of what was routed out as near perfectly as possible) glued, clamped. Then you can get a bridge like the original, re-drill the holes, and remount it. Unless you're into to butcher block look, though, it's all going to need refinishing after that. To get a match, especially if the finish is already wearing off in other places, I imagine you're looking at sanding it down and refinishing the whole thing.

This is a BIG project- far beyond what I'd do in my fairly minimal home workshop.

If you've got a better set up, and are a good carpenter, knock yourself out.

A question, though- you say it doesn't sound the way it should. How does it sound? How do you feel it "should" sound?

I'm not a fan of going around slapping a floyd rose bridge on guitars than don't have room for it- it seems like a waste of wood. But a well installed floyd rose trem bridge shouldn't have a negative impact on sound. MAybe it's not installed right? Or maybe there's something else entirely going on?

Let's here some more details about your axe. (And photos are always good...)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote