Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Ground issue?

(@cantankerousd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have an issue that is driving me nuts. I recently rewired my Agile dauntless. New pickups, tone caps, and push-pull coil splitting. I noticed that I hear a hiss when I am using high gain settings that will go away when I touch the bridge or strings. Obviously, this would indicate a ground problem. However, I have checked the ground with a multi-meter. I have checked every possible configuration (between pickups, potentiometers, bridge, and input jack) and they all show that the ground is continuous for each component. My Ibanez doesn't make any noise in the same configuration. Am I just being too picky, or does anyone have an idea for something I may have missed? Thanks for any help!

You don't have to firebomb dresden to prove you can fly a plane.-Warren Zevon

(@ezraplaysezra)
Reputable Member

are the pots contacting the shield? did you pig tail the hot and ground to the jack? Could you have broken the ground to the pickup covers?

ReplyQuote
(@cantankerousd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, the ground is running to the pickup covers. I checked all that with the mmtr. As far as pots contacting any sheilding, there is no sheilding apart from a layer of foil on the cavity cover, and the pots do not touch it. and the hot goes from the jack to the pup switch. as far as ground, I have the ground going to each pot, and the pups are grounded to each pot as in manufacturers diagrams, which in turn is attatched to the bridge ground wire.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Reputable Member

Are the black and white leads going to jack twisted around each other?

ReplyQuote
(@cantankerousd)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No.The one wire goes right out to the switch while the other goes to the first tone pot. I am beginning to think that I may have to just resolder every ground joint.

ReplyQuote