Skip to content
Grover Roto-Grip Lo...

Notifications
Clear all

Grover Roto-Grip Locking Rotomatics stuck?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bjtr86)
Topic starter  

I was recently replacing my strings on my gibson lp which has grover Roto-Grip Locking Rotomatics. On the highest three strings the tuning pegs actually wouldn't open up to allow the new strings in even when the thumbscrew is loosened all the way. This has effectively halted my ability to string the g,b, and high e string. I would appreciate tips or instructions on how to fix this quite frustrating problem.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I had the same problem, but it is hard to explain. There are two mechanisms at play, or incorporated. One locks the post and the other locks the string, all in the same thumbwheel at some different level. First you must unlock the post, and be able to turn the tuning key then you loosen the wheel even further to drop the string holder device/inner post. I hate them.

http://www.anthillmusic.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=155275&c=159439&i=243476472

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@bjtr86)
Topic starter  

wait so how do i unlock the post?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I got rid of mine, they were such a pain, so I have no reference now, just Grover's own instructions, with some recollection as as follows:

1. Turn tip of string post until it clicks into place. This aligns string post holes.

2. Note string hole is off center. Turn knob to rotate post until string hole is positioned away from knob. Thread string up through bottom of hole and pull firmly. See drawing.

3. Turn to begin tuning. At first, only inner "Locking Cam" is turning, securely locking the string. Once the string is locked, outer post will turn.

4. Bring string to pitch.

http://www.grotro.com/Mainlockingroto.html

So, to unlock post, loosen thumb wheel, then turn button or "tuning knob" back into a slackened position to drop the cam and expose string hole, which you will align with main post by turning top of post manually. It's complicated, and I still don't think I am explaining it, or I haven't seen anyone else explain it better. Tuners were just a real pain, but you might stick with them? After string is inserted you turn the knob, bringing cam up, before the post will even begin to turn or rotate. :?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@bjtr86)
Topic starter  

I'm having no luck with these things. I'm going to take it to a guitar center technician even though this issue is kind of embarrassingly stupid. Thanks for all your help Blue Jay. I appreciate it

ReplyQuote