Clear all

Guitar Building Kits

42 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Having gotten interested in electric guitars I've seen some kits out there to build your own - seems that most just need a screwdriver to assemble and then some imagination - seems like a fun idea (as well as a potential birthday gift suggestion). Has anyone done one of these or can anyone reccommend any particular kit?

I've been looking on ebay and Amazon, there's either cheap kits (at around £70-80) or more costly ones at around £120+ ... the latter of those being put together by SAGA (no idea what it stands for). I don't have vast amounts of money to spend but there's usually truth in the saying 'you get what you pay for'

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ive never built one, but have studyed a lot about them. It is more invalved then just screwing it together. Lot of small details to work out, and if its a setneck kit, quite a bit of woodwork. I would pick up a book or two on guitar setups, or building, and do some reading there, and some intenet searches. If your not 100% sure you can do it...[and frankly I think most anyone can if they take there time, and want to learn] start out with a nice easy Tele kit. Not that pricy and realy about as easy as it gets.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The part I'm most interested in doing is decorating the body, I figured putting the rest of it together would help me understand the anatomy of the guitar, kind of like some artists like those images that show skeletons/musculature to help them understand how to draw people (not that I ever found those too helpful, heh). I'll take a look at the library, see if there's any suitable books there :)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

There are several people that build/built guitars on this forum I'm sure some will chime in TR is one of them he's built or modded pretty much most of his gear.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

The part I'm most interested in doing is decorating the body, I figured putting the rest of it together would help me understand the anatomy of the guitar, kind of like some artists like those images that show skeletons/musculature to help them understand how to draw people (not that I ever found those too helpful, heh). I'll take a look at the library, see if there's any suitable books there :)

If thats the case, why not pick up a used guitar that you like the feel of, and tear her apart and repaint it, then toss in a few upgrades, and call it good.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

For some reason the idea of taking a guitar that probably already works and pulling it apart intimidates me far more than starting from scratch some how ... :P

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

For some reason the idea of taking a guitar that probably already works and pulling it apart intimidates me far more than starting from scratch some how ... :P

LOL!!!! I guess thats just how im wired. All of mine have been torn apart, fixed, cleaned, inspected or a combo of all.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What do you use to get the old finish off the body with then? Paint stripper or sander or combination of those?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ive done little refinishing,[with guitars anyways... quite a bit with other things..] but a lot depends on the finish. Most lower end guitars have a pretty heavy/thick poly finish that your parbably better off using stripper on. At least to get most of it off.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I haven't tried a kit yet but have thought about it. I'm not sure you could order from them as I see you mention the price in pounds, but my closest to a total rebuild was a Strat copy from Rondo Music. $99 for the guitar and another $99 in parts from Guitar Fetish along with some tuners from another guitar and the neck and body are about the only origional parts. New pickups, new trem, new pots, jack and switch. New knobs, strap locks and of course new strings. I did build a guitar out of a toilet seat. I have rebuilt bass or two for my son as well. I'll russle up some pics and edit this post.

The white one is a Fender Strat that I simply replaced the bridge pickup. The red one is the guitar I spoke of above, the SX Strat copy I totally rebuilt. If you want to hear it click here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlEGIVGUP0k I hadn't put the chrome knobs on it yet.

Here is an SX bass I rebuilt, it has a new bridge, tuners and knobs and strap locks. We haven't done the electronics overhaul yet.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member

The only experience I've had is building a guitar from Warmoth parts. It's a bit pricey, but the quality is outstanding, and the customization options are pretty vast.

You can order pretty much anything you want (mind you, all of their guitars are bolt-on, but if that doesn't bother you, then good!) and you can even save some cost by ordering an unfinished body/neck, and finishing them yourself - also good for giving you the whole "build experience" you seem to be looking for.

Anyway, I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I am a very satisfied customer, and I figured I'd pass it along. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Tone is subjective.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Warmoth parts are high end. You pay but they are quality and you end up with a very good guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I did build a guitar out of a toilet seat.

A guitar out of a toilet seat eh? That sounds like an amusing project ... just so long as no one went to the bathroom and yelled 'hey honey, where'd the seat go!' :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nah! It was a spare.

ReplyQuote
(@sansmerci)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Love it, certainly a piece to spark some conversation :D