Guitar can only stay in tune a half step down

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

alright, I ahve an ibanez electric with a tremolo bridge,
and as my subject described, my guitar only stays in tune if I tune it all down a half step, wtf? if I tune it normally, every one of the strings goes down a half stoop when I do anything even resembling a bend.

any past experiences out there?, I'm assuming it's my springs.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Looks like a trem problem to me!
Go to http://www.projectguitar.com . You'll be able to find an answer there! :D

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

what kind of tremlo do you have? i've had that problem with te less expensive guitars with no name, factory tremlo's , but never with a floyd rose, or a wilkinson tremlo.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Could be a spring problem. Might need more or stronger or better balanced strings. Just a guess. Not even worth 2 cents.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If the guitar is not a double locking system, what's happening is when you bend a string is lifts the bridge from its floating position creating the other strings to loosen and go flat. Options would be to install one more spring or install a double locking system.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thank you forrok, I tried adjusting the spring screws, and that showed me further that my springs have worn out, since it did nothing, I'm gonna replace the two of them!

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

it only has 2 springs? I thought they had more than that? My Ibanez has 5!! So maybe if you went up to 3, it would work better?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@nonpartisanartisan)

Check every string... if only some strings come out flat then they are binding at the nut.
A duab of vaseline on the strings at the nut, worked in with a toothpick for a minute with the trem then wiped off should fix things.
Works for me.
Didn't work the first time... went to larger strings than properly fit the nut for a bit to "stretch" the nut a tad so they strings wouldn't bind. Going back and using the vaseline worked fine.

-r

ReplyQuote