Guitar Decals?

35 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
14.8 K Views
(@oneofthehated)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I am new here. I was just wondering if any of you have used anything like the products from this company, www guitarprinting com. I am interested in customizing my guitar but was curious if anyone else has done this and if it is a good product? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(@blueline)
Noble Member

No way. Paid way too much for me to put decals on any of my guitars. I can see the allure of it though.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd never stick a decal on any of my guitars! :? And, I'd never pay $35 to $65 for a piece of vinyl, either!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!
i would only consider something like that if done by our own venerable Dali Lima
oneofthehated is an interesting name but only applicable here if you are a spammer :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure about putting them on, but I do know how to get them off.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I know a guy who put some tribal looking decals on a black squier strat a few years back. Nice way to add a little flavour to an otherwise dull guitar.

Not something I'd do myself though, at least not on a nice guitar.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I found a sheet of vintage flower decals. I put a few on my ukulele. now it has some island mojo.
I would not decorate my main guitars. my dings and scratches are enough.
guitars are personal. I think it fine to personalize your guitar.
just keep in mind that any value in the instrument will be changed.

do a search on eBay for decals. you will be surprised. I found that to be a cool creative resource.
not expensive either.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@fingerbanger)
Eminent Member

I'm going to jump the fence on this one.
It's ok to put decals on your guitar BUT! It all depends on what it is and how much you payed for it and if you have to peplace parts and repair it to get it to work and so on down the line.
I have a few guitars that I picked up for a song (no pun intended) that I don't even know who made them and they took a quarter turn on the truss rod and replace tuners and file down the nut and the bridge and put the neck over my knee and practially snap the neck to get it to play right. Of course the finish is shot and so on.
I have no problem with adding a personal touch with something like that.
If you have a $2000 Gibson, I'd say no.
It also depends on what kind of decal you want to put ont. Bumper stickers are out!
There is a company in Italy that makes some really classy decals. The kind that you would use on a model airplane. They look just like a custom paint job.
So what I'm saying is it all depends.

Let that boy boogie woogie, cuz' it in em' and it got to come out. -John Lee Hooker-
There is no substitute for experience. So get out there and break some strings on stage. -F.B.-

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I'm not a fan of the decals myself. If it's a plain finish it doesn't look too bad though. Now a sunburst with decals would look kinda silly.

I like guitars that have a design, painting or picture on them personally. Like this:

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

I sometimes think of putting a sticker on my pick guard. The pick guard is easily replaceable.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i use vinyl decals sometimes. I put the same sun emblem on the majority of my guitars in some form or other, jsut because I like it and I like teh way the guitars look. I have one on my Martin's pickguard and one of the headstock. I also have a Celtic symbol on the back of the martin...it's HPL, so it comes off pretty easy. The front of my Martin has "Live Forever" along the lower bout. I have one on my ibanez. One of my squier pickguard. 3 on my vox ad30. even a tiny one on the headstock of my strat.

On the ibanez i have a big sticker that says "SHHHH!! Listen!" I think that's funny for some reason.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow! I just caved to peer pressure. I had a vinyl skull and cross bones decal on my Les Paul special and I just removed it. :lol: Naw, I would never put a decal on a guitar .... :oops: :roll: :mrgreen:

P.S. Didn't hurt the finish a bit. It was a quality automotive decal billed to be removable without harming the finish.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I like guitars that have a design, painting or picture on them personally.

I like designs and painting on a guitar, too, but a vinyl stick on thing just isn't going to cut it! I like guitars like these:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got circles of black felt on the bottom of my "yellow peril" lap steel to keep it from sliding around. No way I'm sticking stuff on the front of any of my guitars.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member

Jeez, what a bunch of kill-joys! :lol:
Mate, if you like the look of the stickers on your guitar go for it. If it's an expensive guitar then just ask the question - do I own this guitar to play, love & be intimate with, or did I buy it as an 'investment' never to be played unless you damage the 'original' strings? :lol:

My main guitar is slowly getting a collection of stickers, mostly speed stuff like mooneyes, B&M & a 'Lady Luck' sticker - it adds instant patina & makes her look more like the rockabilly tramp she is. Doesn't mean I don't love her. I don't have any knowledge of that particular company, I get my stickers from performance stores etc, $10 each - can't go wrong.

It depends on what you want the guitar to look like, doesn't it? I also have an old G&L that has no stickers, because her natural patina is what I want for my blues guitar.

Have a look at Brian Setzers original guitar, his black phoenix he used in the stray cats reunion, Joe Strummers' axe & Chris Cheney's collection of hardware & then tell me decals/stickers aren't cool!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

It does depend on your individual taste, but you can't say all stickers are bad!

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3