Skip to content
Guitar help needed!...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar help needed! The plugs wont stay down!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@snudor)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. First of all, im swedish, so my spelling WILL s**k... hope you will understand me anyways! :)

Here we go.

I got a Fender steelstringed acoustic guitar last christmas (from my GF, god i love that woman! ;) ) I lost one string and went to the music store to get a new set of string. Since i had no clue what size the strings was when i got the guitar i figgured it diddn´t matter. Anyway i bought some Elexir Light-Medium / .012 - .056.
Now the pluggs at the "bottom" of the guitar (the ones that are supposed to hold the strings) wont stay down on the B and D string!

Please ooohh almighty guitar gods of the guitar noise forums help me!

/Snudor, the sad swedish boy...

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

It sounds like the bridge pins are catching on the ball end of the strings, a solution is to put a gentle bend in the end so that the ball end lays in front of the pin when installed. I also round the tip of the pin so that the ball is pushed in front of the pin when pushed in.

I put the string in first, then the pin, then I pull up on the string and verify that the ball isn't caught on the end of the pin, then I wind it on the tuner.

I also sometimes put ALL the strings in the bridge, leave them off the tuners and then put my hand in the soundhole and feel that the balls are in front of the pin, then wrap them on the tuners.

A little patience and thought will get you through this!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@snudor)
Topic starter  

Thank you so much! Totally worked. I (being a total genious i know) assumed that the balls were supposed to be ringt under the pins! Thanks again! :D

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

No problem! You're welcome, don't feel bad, I have brain seizures like this all the time! :wink:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote